Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need these:

Wood Material property Gas Technology Machine

Danchuk sold me these years ago.

Wood Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Do I just move the levers over to the new handles? Seems like they’re pressed in. Or did I not get the correct handles?

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now, I’m stuck on something where a part is missing. I have the door latch mechanism all lubed and freely working, but a spring is missing (apparently rusted away) that re-engages the latch so it will stay shut. Any ideas where the spring should go?

Automotive tire Rim Bumper Bicycle part Machine

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lubrication is key. If you can, pull them out and clean them with brake cleaner then spray all the pivot points with lithium grease. Smooth as butter, even old rusty ones after a good cleaning.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lubing is good, but most used a thicker grease and that collects a ton of dirt over time. Make sure to clean them out thoroughly with some sort of degreaser/brake cleaner before you do any lube. Mine had rust and dirty grease and were absolutely locked up and wouldn’t budge. I sprayed mine (pass side front and back) with a half can of brake cleaner and got them moving first. sprayed again with brake cleaner to finish rinsing out the crud. Then white lithium spray all the moving and pivot points. It slides like new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts