Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i try to start the car the started sokonoid rapidly clicks. I check the battery and it shows a little less that 12v. I charge the battery for a little while and the car starts. ? Does the starter need a full 12v to start The generator was just rebuilt. Should I replace the starter or just the solonoid. What woulld causse a drain on the battery?

thanks,
Pat

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,972 Posts
When i try to start the car the started sokonoid rapidly clicks. I check the battery and it shows a little less that 12v. I charge the battery for a little while and the car starts. ? Does the starter need a full 12v to start The generator was just rebuilt. Should I replace the starter or just the solonoid. What woulld causse a drain on the battery?

thanks,
Pat
It sounds more like a bad battery. A fully charged battery should show 12.6 volts and stay at over 12 volts for months. If the battery voltage is going down below 12, it's not holding a charge. Have the battery "load tested".
You can also check the battery voltage while someone is trying to start the engine. I bet it drops way below 12 volts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts