Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the correct 14" painted 57 rims (with the 4 nubs)...First the full covers were a pain to get on the rims...got them on tight...yesterday had the car out...at about 40 mph..on a smooth road...one cover popped off..hit a curb & put a dent in the outer part of the cover. I was able to use a rubber mallet & get the cover back to its correct shape. What can be done to make sure these covers (with spinners) STAY ON the car...these covers ain't cheap!! :)

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Bob: Could be the nubs on the wheels are worn down and need to be built back with weld. Let's get some more input.
ken 57

·
Registered
559 Posts
When putting them on, bang away with the rubber mallet all the way around. Then feelor look all the way around to make sure they are snug. Also check the nubs as above. Took me three days to find a cap one time in 100* heat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was lucky...I had someone following me & he saw the wheel cover fly off...if not that cover would have been lost!! When I last tried to get those covers on my mechanic had to squat down with both knees against the bottom of the cover & work the cover from the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock position... The rims are new with a fresh coat of paint...the nubs now have the paint worn off due to trying to get the covers on...I guess I'll try the "knee squat method!!"

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Two things. The wheel cover has a 2 sheetmental cutouts inside that fit over the nubs. Pry the cutouts up to make them grab the nubs more. Also inspect the wheel cover very closely for tiny cracks in that same area. My one mint wheel cover had a tiny hairline crack there and that was the one cap the would fly off. (Hunted all spring and summer for that cap, finally found it in the fall when the brush died down!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, CJS57.. I did notice a slight crack in that cutout...I'll try to pry it out some.. Should I try a SMALL...itsy bitsy tack weld to try & close that crack...it is a very slight crack...Just a thought..

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You could try getting hold of some Canadian claw mount covers, interesting to note that all of the covers that came on new cars to New Zealand had those covers - must have thought we had rough roads then - not wrong!!!
Also, I have been told, if you use radials, make sure you have the tires pumped to 40psi. Stops the rim from flexing, I was told.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My cracked wheel cover had a small repair weld on the crack already by a PO, but it had re-cracked! But it is worth a try. I used a different uncracked cap and no more problems. Radial tires (at any pressure) causing wheel cover fly away is internet myth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts