Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to keep this car as stock as possible for now, but I had to replace the gas tank on my 56. Bought a Stealth Tank from Aeromotive in case I want EFI in the future. The tank has the 57 style vent, with which my 56 isn't equipped.

Keeping in mind that I have very little time to work on this car, and am trying to get it going before July ends, here is my quick and simple solution for utilizing the tank vent.

Grabbing a piece of scrap sheetmetal, I cut out a 3"x8" section, and made a couple cuts 2" long on one end to make bending the metal easier. Then, with a hammer, and (of all things) the 2-5/16" ball on my trucks trailer hitch, roughed out the bent portion(s). Now, taking my torch, hammer, and a couple hose clamps, made the bent portions match the tank filler tube.

(Note to self.... cheapo hose clamps don't like oxy-acetylene flames. Lucky they are disposable in this case.)

Make a couple bends in the vise, drill a hole for the vent tip, and here is the roughed up product before final cleaning:

A coat of satin black, just for purty. Well... sorta purty. :sign0020:

Grab the vent tip included with the Stealth Tank, and mock it up with a piece of hose:

No, it's not great fabrication skilz like what I see from many of you, but the vent will now be held secure in it's location, and is also positioned properly above the top of the filler tube inside the 56's tail-light fin. Looks right at home when in place. Tail-light view pic when I get the back-splash valve installed on the filler tube and everything is buttoned up to fire up the motor.

So, whaddya think? Reccommendations on how to improve my idea?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Tail-light view pic when I get the back-splash valve installed on the filler tube and everything is buttoned up to fire up the motor.

So, whaddya think?
Should help in preventing burping while filling. How does the back-splash valve work and where did you get it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
or you could have just installed a nipple to close off the tube at the tank.
Yeah, I could have. But... figured what the heck, it's a 55 to 57 tank, why not make use of the tank vent (and after reading various posts from this site) instead of being unhappy about filling my tank, every time I try to fill my tank on all but the lowest flow setting at the pump.

<<<<Should help in preventing burping while filling. How does the back-splash valve work and where did you get it? >>>>

The check valve works to keep fuel from splashing back out of the filler cap under acceleration, the vent works to prevent "burping" while filling the tank. The valve has an aluminum plate shaped to match the tube profile on an angle. When gas flows down the tube, it lifts the bottom portion of the plate (pivoting just above the centerline of the plate), and gas flows freely through the valve. Under acceleration, gas flows back towards the valve, pushes on the bottom portion of the plate first, and applies pressure to keep the valve in the closed position, thereby stopping the gas from surging up the tube. At least, that's how I understand it from a cursory eyeballing of the valve. Looks like it will do the job as described. Positioning of the valve (top side vs. bottom side relative to gravity) is crucial to the proper operation of the valve. This is very easy, since the maker of the valve has a white line across the bottom of the rubber hose housing the valve to indicate proper alignment.

Both problems, burping and backsplash, are a PITA I intend to avoid, especially the burping while filling the tank. Anybody who has ever tried to fill a '95 Jeep YJ in California (with Calif.'s damnable "vapor recovery sock" on the gas pump handle) will know what I mean. Grrrrr.....

I purchased the backsplash valve from Danchuk, part # 14949, "Filler neck, gas, and check valve kit", for $39.95.

I'm guessing from the lack of comments on the home-made bracket that you were less than enthused. LOL. Oh, well, I understand. It ain't purty, but it works, and it cost nothing to make. I like those kind of modifications, and I think it falls in line with the spirit of my Father's generation (who, remember, had lived through the Great Depression) on fixing cars during the 50's--- "Making things better ... when it absolutely, positively, has to be made from random junk found in the back of your garage".

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Both problems, burping and backsplash, are a PITA I intend to avoid, especially the burping while filling the tank.
I was referring to the thing on the top end of the 3/8 vent hose. I thought it may be a check valve to let air out but keep foreign matter like dirt and water out of the tank.
On a 57, the vent tube runs back into the fill pipe, so it is closed off when the gas cap is on the fill pipe.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Form follows function.

I'm guessing from the lack of comments on the home-made bracket that you were less than enthused.
I like the bracket just fine. When fabbing stuff like that, we call it blacksmithing. Only need one, need it now, whip it together. Works like a champ.

I'm trying to keep this car as stock as possible for now, but I had to replace the gas tank on my 56. Bought a Stealth Tank from Aeromotive in case I want EFI in the future.
I have a question: How stock, for now, will a car be with such high-end fuel delivery capacity? That Aeromotive Stealth 340 can feed upwards of 700 hp, per Aeromotive.

Don't get me wrong, I like Aeromotive products, but you must have some serious future plans for this car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
acardon... Pic of the ball valve, keeping debris from entering the tank.

Pic of the underside of the tank vent cap, showing primary screen to keep out debris.

Pic of the whole unit. The metal washer goes under the sheet metal, the o-ring seal above, and the cap seals all. At least that's how I interpreted the directions.

Just because... pics of the back-splash valve.

Shot of the valve closed (normal position).

Pic of the valve open (valve shown upside down, simulating gas flowing through the valve).

Pic of the outside hose for the valve, showing white line used for positioning valve in the correct orientation to gravity. (in other words, so it actually works ;-) )

Got it all installed this morning. Looks good, should work even better.

'nuther note to self..... when working on installing the vent tube tubing, drop the dang tank down so you can actually move the 1/4" ratchet and tighten the hose clamp securing said vent tubing. I wasted a good 15 minutes before this made it into my grey matter (insert "must be getting old' smiley" here). That, or working nights is affecting my cognitive abilities.

bigblock261... let's just say I am keeping my options open. For now, it's just to get it running. Future plans are determined by future income, but if my plans pan out, I'll use every bit of that pump's capacity. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update. Pic of the filler tube with markings for each end of the anti-backsplash valve's rubber housing, and where the valve's intenal metal housing ends. Dotted lines are the cut marks for the sawzall:

Beveled the edges of the tube cuts with a flapper disc, then finished them off with a file and some metal clothe to get rid of any sharp edges. The ends will now slip into the rubber hose, and under the angled internal metal housing of the vavle:

Shot of the valve installed on the tube, which is now the exact same length as from the factory:

Shot of the tube in place, minus the rubber grommet that secures the filler cap end of the filler tube in place. You can see how the little bracket I made holds the tank vent in place, peeking up over the stamped bracket in the tail fin that houses the filler cap end of the tube:

That's it for now, time to hit the sack after working an all-night job. Dunno how the 50-year-old (give or take) weed pieces got there, I left them in place for the picture. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.