Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. I have a working, but badly pitted "T" on my Wagon tailgate. Keys from Ignition fit and it all works. I have a pretty good rechromed one, but no keys.....both units are off the car....how do I dis-assemble in order to swap the lock and post and slide the working with my keys set up into the nicer "T" bar......can't seem to find that info.....Help! Thanx

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took mine to the crustiest, oldest locksmith I could find and he had it all patched together in about 10 minutes for about $10. It seemed to me that the lock cylinder was held in place with a brass pin that had to be knocked out with a drift.

O.k. I have a working, but badly pitted "T" on my Wagon tailgate. Keys from Ignition fit and it all works. I have a pretty good rechromed one, but no keys.....both units are off the car....how do I dis-assemble in order to swap the lock and post and slide the working with my keys set up into the nicer "T" bar......can't seem to find that info.....Help! Thanx

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,871 Posts
Be careful when you take apart the handles. The factory punches an indentation into the threaded collar and if you do not drill out the punch mark it jams on the thread and ruins the handle assembly, good day.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
T- Handle

Larry, my take off will work and I'll get keys for it too, but it's real pitted......I'll see if I can get some photos and send to - via email. I guess they are tough to find.
Thanks, I have one other person checking to see if he can find one, haven't heard from him yet. If you have one with a working lock that would be great. I will be checking my email..............Larry

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,871 Posts
I used a garage door T handle while waiting to get the real thing. It fit the hole spacing without modifying the gate and the shaft is the same size. Most people will not notice it and it is lockable, good day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.