Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 57 vent window will scratch the top metal plate trim on the door panel when opened.

The trim piece will clear if I pull it down but then it doesn't line up with the dash end. The vent appears to be the same height as the pass side which doesn't hit at all.

The doors are perfectly aligned with the body.

Ideas? Is there any vertical adj with the vent windows?

I've just had the top piece re-painted so I'd like to solve the problem before too long. Maybe the angle of the piece isn't correct?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
The vent window should be secured by 2 screws at the top and 2 machine screws at the bottom. so no adjustment there. Is the center shaft installed correctlyand all the way up?
Terry

·
Registered
336 Posts
The vent window regulator has a cap on the bottom of it.
It is very common for it to work loose and drop out the bottom of the regulator (you may find it in the bottom of the door if you take the panel and inspection covers off). This will cause your problem as the cap pushes up
slightly on the regulator gears and will increase the clearance over the moulding.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vent window regulator has a cap on the bottom of it.
It is very common for it to work loose and drop out the bottom of the regulator (you may find it in the bottom of the door if you take the panel and inspection covers off). This will cause your problem as the cap pushes up
slightly on the regulator gears and will increase the clearance over the moulding.
I pulled the door panel off and can see the bottom of the regulator mechanism is open. I can see the horizontal gear turning when I crank. Are you saying there is something that fit over that opening that pushes on the assembly? I didn't seem to rotate down or anything? There was no cap in the door. Any pics would help understand what you are referring to.

Chevyman57, it appears to be bolted up correctly although I'm not sure I'd recognize it if not. It works perfectly smoothly and window appears in the same position as the passenger window which is fine. Is there a "camber" adjustment on it? Perhaps it's not perfectly parallel with the top of the door trim and at full open the front/bottom of the window is pointing slightly down?

:confused0006: :confused0006:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,894 Posts
TRF...Interested in your thread....Will bump it up for 'ya.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bumpasaurus. Need help or a supply of touch up paint!

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
There has to be some king of problem in either the shaft or the regulator, IMO. I`d try to compare the bad one to the other one and try to figure it out that way.
Terry

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Are you sure there isn't an issue with the trim piece fit on the door? I found mine on one would hit on my dash end because of the way I was tightnening the screws.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure there isn't an issue with the trim piece fit on the door? I found mine on one would hit on my dash end because of the way I was tightnening the screws.
I had to pull it a pretty good way down to clear the window and at that point it clearly didn't line up with the end of the dash. I'll play with it a little when re-installing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is the top plate installed and how it doesn't line up with the dash end. I'm 99% sure the vent is positioned the same as the passenger side. I've got it pulled down a bit to make sure it clears the vent.

Perhaps it needs to be pulled down further on the side facing the door window? Does it "hook" behind the door near the window? I see some tabs but it has a little flex mounted right now. Not much.

Attachments

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
After seeing the pic of one thing comes to mind. Is it rubbing all the way across or on the outer edge? If it is the outer edge the door panel could be too thickmaking it kick the outer edge of the trim upwards, creating the rub.
Terry

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After seeing the pic of one thing comes to mind. Is it rubbing all the way across or on the outer edge? If it is the outer edge the door panel could be too thickmaking it kick the outer edge of the trim upwards, creating the rub.
I'm sorry to be so dense, but I'm not sure I understand the question. By outer edge do you mean that end closest to the dash?

It only hit once the window rotated to 90 degrees. It didn't hit when it was first opened.

It almost seems like it isn't "hooked" nearest the door such that the edge closest to the window is high. Maybe the door panel is too tall not letting the top snap all the way?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TXRaceFan,

Not to change the subject, (but I Am ) The red on your trim is what I have been looking for in and arerosol single coat can. What brand and color code is it?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill, it is the same color on the exterior and I had the local paint shop mix a quart for use in touching up, painting my new column and arm rests. I'm getting ready to do another order for some single stage to use for body touch up. I don't know if they can mix an aerosal can or not. I guess they can give me the formula or something?

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
'm sorry to be so dense, but I'm not sure I understand the question. By outer edge do you mean that end closest to the dash?
By outer i mean the edge/side next to your body when sitting in the driver seat. The door panel being too thick would make that edge stick up.
Terry

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Bill, it is the same color on the exterior and I had the local paint shop mix a quart for use in touching up, painting my new column and arm rests. I'm getting ready to do another order for some single stage to use for body touch up. I don't know if they can mix an aerosal can or not. I guess they can give me the formula or something?
Thanks. The formula would be great -- I think I can Borrow an air brush if I can't get an aerosol can or two.

Bill

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. The formula would be great -- I think I can Borrow an air brush if I can't get an aerosol can or two.

Bill

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By outer i mean the edge/side next to your body when sitting in the driver seat. The door panel being too thick would make that edge stick up.
Terry
Got it. When in "scratch position" it was lined up perfectly with the dash so I'm guessing not. That's why I was fixated on the window being out of whack somehow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts