Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I get gas (fill it up or not) the inside of my wagon just reeks of gas. The smell lasts until the tank is less than 1/4 full. I've crawled all around underneath, and see no evidence of a leak. Could it be just vapor seeping out if the sending unit or filler neck? Just wondering if this is a common problem, or an easy fix. I'm new to tri-5's, but have been around muscle cars for a while.
Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Gas smell in wagon.

It is possible that someone ran screws into the cargo plywood to hold it down, and punctured the tank. Inspect what is under your cargo area carpet.

Driver.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
It is possible that someone ran screws into the cargo plywood to hold it down, and punctured the tank. Inspect what is under your cargo area carpet.

Driver.
Excellent suggestion. When I put new plywood down in my '56 wagon, I was going to put extra screws in it. You know, more is always better?? Before I drilled the first hole, I realized how close the tank top was to the plywood above. Thankfully, it went no further.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is probably exactly what happened! When I got it the previous owner put down some funky plywood with metal strips, and secured it with long sheetmetal screws!
Don't know why I didn't think of it......

Thanks Driver! I'll be sure to report back once the issue is resolved

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Every time I get gas (fill it up or not) the inside of my wagon just reeks of gas. The smell lasts until the tank is less than 1/4 full. I've crawled all around underneath, and see no evidence of a leak. Could it be just vapor seeping out if the sending unit or filler neck? Just wondering if this is a common problem, or an easy fix. I'm new to tri-5's, but have been around muscle cars for a while.
Thanks,
Keith
Same thing with me. It is deceiving how the gas tank is designed. You think by the looks of the bottom that it has the curved shape all the way up. But, it doesn't. It has a shelf on the top that fits near the back rail of the spare tire compartment. I thought it was my filler tube. But replaced it after the repair and still has the smell. So, it has to be the top has a screw hole from PO. Now off I go looking for a gas tank. What a range in prices. Decided to go with a tank made in Canada. Don't want any Chinese tank. Went on line and actually talk to the company tech department. Found what I need is a Spectra Premium gas tank #GM47A. This fits 55-56 Nomads and wagons except 9 pass. Although the store I got it from said it wouldn't fit, the tech at Spectra said he guarantees it will. Ordered it with the discount code for only $97. $40 off and free shipping. Unbeatable. But I did have to pay $6 for tax cause they have a store in Illinois. Going to make my own straps out of SS. Will let you know how everthing works out.

Looking up on line, I think your '57 wagon (if its not a 9 pass.) model would be GM47B

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
Looks like whatever is wrong with it, you will have to drop the tank for inspection of the sending unit and the top.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Canadian tank is good.

Decided to go with a tank made in Canada. Don't want any Chinese tank. Went on line and actually talk to the company tech department. Found what I need is a Spectra Premium gas tank #GM47A.
I put my new tank in about 6 years ago, during the mechanical restoration, and I distinctly remember the box saying "Made in Canada" on it. I am sure it was a Spectra tank, and it was of very good quality and fit perfect. Definitely not Chinese junk. Also, for the relatively cheap cost, do a new sender as long as the tank is down. They always take a beating from corrosion, and now is the time to deal with it.

Driver.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Lots of surface to run screws into

It is deceiving how the gas tank is designed. You think by the looks of the bottom that it has the curved shape all the way up. But, it doesn't. It has a shelf on the top that fits near the back rail of the spare tire compartment.
I just remembered that I have a good photo of my tank top, just before I put it in. As you can see, there is plenty of surface area to punch holes in with screws to create a very strong gasoline smell. Also, if you look closely, you can see the "Made in Canada" tag on top of the tank.

Driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I was able to spend some time in the garage, and found that the sending unit was leaking. After I had it out and attempted to clean it, the little strap that goes from the rheostat to the terminal fell apart. So now I need to order a new one.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Looks like whatever is wrong with it, you will have to drop the tank for inspection of the sending unit and the top.
The only way to inspect it properly or I`m thinking could you plug the end of the tank off & blow air into the tank and listen for a leak.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Today I was able to spend some time in the garage, and found that the sending unit was leaking. After I had it out and attempted to clean it, the little strap that goes from the rheostat to the terminal fell apart. So now I need to order a new one.
The brass float on the repro sending units inevitably fails. There is a F*rd float made of plastic which will not fail.

I'm now on my 3rd float and will replace the brass float with the plastic.

Believe it or not, *ford* float fits perfectly, & won't leak.
Part # COAZ9202-B available at any Ford parts department. The same # applies to their brass or plastic float.

paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts