Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding a 283 with all original parts and the water pump looks original but research says the # should be 3736493. However, mine is missing the first "3" so it reads 736493. Help! Is this the original? is it a casting glitch on this one piece? Want to know before spending $$ having it rebuilt. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,581 Posts
Looks OK. Post a photo of the top of the pump. There should be a cast flat bump area but NO HOLE FOR A PLUG.

Mikey

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts
Should you decide to rebuild, I have tech articles on water pump restoration available....Send me a PM with your email address, if you would like them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I found one like Mikey described with the flat on the top (no tapped hole) and sent it to a fella in Arizona who rebuilt it for around $65 bucks including shipping. He did a nice job and turn around was about a week. I have his card at home if interested, I can post his info...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I bought the rebuild kit and did it myself, using a vice, a hammer, and a couple of sockets. It seems to me that I paid around $65 30+ years ago.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I found one like Mikey described with the flat on the top (no tapped hole) and sent it to a fella in Arizona who rebuilt it for around $65 bucks including shipping. He did a nice job and turn around was about a week. I have his card at home if interested, I can post his info...

I bought a water pump from that guy too. He also rebuilt my distributor. He does great work.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Info on rebuilding/rebuilders

Also guys, I would appreciate info on those who can rebuild it, or instructions on me doing it. I've got a shop and hydraulic press.

Thanks!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts
Also guys, I would appreciate info on those who can rebuild it, or instructions on me doing it. I've got a shop and hydraulic press.....Thanks!
Sent you the instructions Rock :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rebuilder info

Update on the water pump rebuild. I found a guy closer- in St. Louis- who rebuilds just about anything. Mike at Crown Auto - nice guy. I'm mailing the pump out tomorrow. Irony here is that this pump first pumped water 62- 1/2 years ago right around the corner from Crown, at the GM plant.

I'll update one last time once get the pump back. He says he can help me find an fuel pump for it too.

Crown Auto
6353 Dr. Martin Luther King Dr.
St Louis, MO 63133

He cautioned to pack it well. He sees damaged parts occasionally. So THIS is how to pack a part to ship! Bolt it to piece of plywood!

Attachments

·
Administrator
66,902 Posts
Looks like the original water pump, doesn't look like your engine had done a lot of work, pump may just need a clean and fresh paint :anim_25:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's orange, so probably original. But it's pump 61,101 miles worth of water. The shaft is a little rough when you turn it too.

My dad was always replacing starters, generators or water pumps. But yet all three checked out as being original equipment on this one. Starter and gen are waiting on my engine to come home! Oh ya!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts