Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wondered if there was a reason to which carb the '57 283 4bbl. engine got, the Carter WCFB or the Rochester 4GC?

I heard from an older enthusiast yesterday that the Turboglide cars had the Rochester and all the others got the WCFB, but that was the first I had ever heard of that one.

Anybody know how they made the call?

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
I have always wondered if there was a reason to which carb the '57 283 4bbl. engine got, the Carter WCFB or the Rochester 4GC?

I heard from an older enthusiast yesterday that the Turboglide cars had the Rochester and all the others got the WCFB, but that was the first I had ever heard of that one.

Anybody know how they made the call?
flipped a coin :happy0030: a

Sorry, been a long and busy day so far, good question, hopefully some one will answer this question for u soon:wavey:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Years ago I heard it was 4GC for the automatics and WCFB for the stick cars, but I have since seen that not to be true. Actually, I have seen way more WCFB's than Rochesters on the '57's that I have run across that were original.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Years ago I heard it was 4GC for the automatics and WCFB for the stick cars, but I have since seen that not to be true. Actually, I have seen way more WCFB's than Rochesters on the '57's that I have run across that were original.
I heard the same thing. I often wondered if maybe it was a "flavor of the week" thing.
You would think they would have wanted to use Rochesters as they owned it , so maybe the WCFBs were bought because RP could not supply them fast enough.

I know at one time GM/RP could not keep up with Quaderajet production so Carter built a bunch of them.

Bob

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard the same thing. I often wondered if maybe it was a "flavor of the week" thing.
You would think they would have wanted to use Rochesters as they owned it , so maybe the WCFBs were bought because RP could supply them fast enough.

I know ar one time GM/RP could not keep up with Quaderajet production so Carter built a bunch of them.

Bob
Yeah, and the Carter Q-Jets were trash compared to the Rochester's

·
Registered
524 Posts
My '57 wagon has the Super Turbofire power pack 283 V8 220hp with Powerglide and is Carter WCFB 4bbl equipped. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts