Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and new to the TriFives. I just purchased a 57' Belair 2 door post and would like to buy some 18" wheels. The car is all stock with power disk brakes up front. I have searched through numerous threads to find my answer but I am not 100% sure I figured it out.

I would like to run and 18" or 17" x 7" up front and an 18" x 10" in the rear, I am also going to buy a 2" drop spindle and 1" lowering spring for the car.

Can someone please let me know if they are running this combo and what backspacing they are using as well as tire sizes.

Thank You
Rob

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and new to the TriFives. I just purchased a 57' Belair 2 door post and would like to buy some 18" wheels. The car is all stock with power disk brakes up front. I have searched through numerous threads to find my answer but I am not 100% sure I figured it out.

I would like to run and 18" or 17" x 7" up front and an 18" x 10" in the rear, I am also going to buy a 2" drop spindle and 1" lowering spring for the car.

Can someone please let me know if they are running this combo and what backspacing they are using as well as tire sizes.

Thank You
Rob
Rob
welcome to tri-5, Im just running 15" cragers all around, but im sure some one will help u out soon

·
12,256 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Thank You
Rob
With a 3" drop in front you will want to keep the outside of the tires at about 67.5" or less to prevent rubbing. The backspacing depends on your final wheel mounting surface width, and that depends on your spindle/disc combination.

In the rear, if you're using a stock suspension setup you should use a zero offset wheel. For a 10" wheel, that would be 5.5" backspacing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I will ask the previous owner which disk brake conversion he used on the front.

·
12,256 Posts
So I will ask the previous owner which disk brake conversion he used on the front.
If you're going to buy new dropped spindles, I assume you're going to get a new disc setup with them? If not, you still need to know what the new spindles do to the mounting width of the front end with your existing disc brakes if you swap them to the new spindles.

Are you planning any changes in the rear, such as relocated springs or minitubs?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to relocate or mini-tub anything on the car, I just want to lower it and put some rims on it to cruise around.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I will just use a coil over in the front with the stock spindle. Would a 4.5 BS work with a 17x7 wheel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts