Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the windshield wiper cables on my 57. I now have too much slack and overtravel in the wiper arms. How do I take up the slack and center my wiper arms? My manual shows to take out slack to push in on the shaft end, this only goes so far in removing the slack.:( Now what do I do?:confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
57' wiper cables

Yes everything is connected right as the manual says I have the correct cables crossed and cables are on the drum right,there must be something more about taking up the slack in the cables and centering the wipers?:confused:

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Did you pre-load the wiper transmissions before installing? They should have been clamped in a vise or held someway so as to allow you to pull the cables. That winds the transmission and they stay wound until everything is installed. After you do that, you press down on the splined end (where the wiper arm goes on) and the transmissions released pulling the cables tight. Then run the wiper motor, turn it off allowing it to park and then install the wiper arms and blades.

·
Registered
277 Posts
MikeKy55 has it rite. Tip, when working with wipers I take off the wiper arms and use big black wire ties so if something is not rite you wont be destroying a nice paint job if the wipers decide to take a swipe toward the hood!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you pre load this? I never heard that done, that means I gotta take the whole mess out and put it in a vise??? Help I'm down and I can't get up!:confused:

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Not sure if you can get to them well enough under the dash to pull the cables or not? Honestly I never tried it. You might try to push down on the splined ends where the wiper arms go on and see if they will tighten up. My luck has never been that good, but I would have to try it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:eek: I may just get myself a "rain gear" setup and be done with it!:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts