Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have installed `58 steering wheel on `57 column. Car has complete AAW wiring kit installed. Purchased adapter kit for steering wheel and horn kit from Ecklers and installed. Have purchased/installed both kits; turn signals work/horn does not blow. AAW wiring kit has horn relay built into circuit board so stock horn relay is not being used. Both horn blow if hooked directly to battery. Center of steering wheel is clean and free from rust or paint. HELP!!!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
and horn kit from Ecklers and installed. AAW wiring kit has horn relay built into circuit board so stock horn relay is not being used. Both horn blow if hooked directly to battery. Center of steering wheel is clean and free from rust or paint. HELP!!!
Does the horn blow if you ground the black wire at the steering column connector?
Did you use a 58 horn kit? The horn parts have to match the steering column year model because of differences in the horn ring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don, thanks for response. I've tried both the `57 and `58-60 horn kits from Ecklers with the stock 1958 steering wheel. The column is stock `57, with all stock turn signal components. I have not tried grounding the black wire and will do so shortly. I've noticed that the '58 kit contactor fits very snugly in the steering wheel opening.

Bob

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I have the stock 57 horn kit installed in mine and I use the 59 Impala wheel. Problem might be with the Belleville spring if the horn is not working. The outer edge that the spring rides in is not grounded. The center of the steering wheel should be clean with no paint. I don't know about AAW Kits. Only the stock parts as I am old school. With the wheel removed install jumper between the copper washer in the turnsignal housing to ground and see if the horn blows. If it does you problem is in the contact that mounts in the wheel or the belleville spring not getting to ground. Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.