Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this sounds dumb I know! I'm not sure what the difference is in the placement of the the 6 or 8 position. I understand if its a 6 it should be in the 6 cylinder position, etc..
Where are the 2 different positions located?
With my set up where would I be mounting?
My set-up is : 383 SBC with March serpentine/700r4 with A/C and P/S

Confused!

:p3:

Pictures are always a big help!

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
If you want to run electric fans the 6 cylinder position gives more room since the radiator sets in front of the radiator support and the V8 is behind the support.
Jim

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,705 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference is in the placement of the the 6 or 8 position.
Six cyl position = radiator in front of the cross bar

Eight cyl position = radiator behind the cross bar

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay...thanks guys! Pops the picture says a thousand words, I appreciate that. How quickly things become so clear when the answer is right in front of you.

:sign0020:

·
Administrator
49,481 Posts
You don`t state which year model we are discussing either. In a 55/56 the 6cyl location leaves things tight when installing an a/c system. 57 isn`t effected by the radiator location since it has more front end room.
Terry

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,705 Posts
You don`t state which year model we are discussing either. In a 55/56 the 6cyl location leaves things tight when installing an a/c system. 57 isn`t effected by the radiator location since it has more front end room.....Terry
Good clearance with the radiator in front of bar on 56 as well.....55 is when its gets awfully tight though.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
One more thing to keep in mind with the 6 cylinder mounting, if you have an auto the trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator you are getting close to the hood latch, you will have room but if you add a condenser for a/c not sure it will fit.

Seen a 55 the other day and he had trimmed the latch to make room, just wanted to give you more info. Mine is in the 6 cylinder position with a trans cooler and its fine.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Dont think it was mentioned that the radiator support panel for the 6 or 8 are different.

If you have a V8 and want to place the radiator in the 6 position you will have two options replace the rad support with a 6 or use extensions to remount the radiator in the new position.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All are great points! I was looking at the Sweet Components setup for my '56 Bel Air 2dr hard top. I think this alleviates all of my concerns.

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
both of mine have rad in 6 position. pics in my albums. :anim_25:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts