Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In another thread I noticed someone posted info on the 5 speed upgrade for the trifives. It was his only post, directing us to his business website, So... did this guy join, plug his product, and then bail? That's kinda lame, IMO. My appologies if he is a sponsor for trifive.com, and I invite the admins to edit my post if this is the case.

I was doing some looking on ebay for six speeds because I was curious. I have a buddy that is building a road race type 69 firebird, and he raves about the six speeds.... You could easily run 4.11 rear end gears and drive on the highway with the monster .50 to 1 top gear overdrive!

check it out!:

info on fitting a double overdrive six speed:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0305_t56/

This is specific to trifives, a really nice looking set up:

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/bel_air_55-57_6spd.asp
of particular note:
Check out the picture of the shifter location, and how it matches the stock placement (edit: muncie location) of the shifter! That means no notched bench seats. Sweet. And, the price is about the same as the five speed. This is the only 5 or 6 speed upgrade website that I have seen that is willing to show pictures of the installed product. Nice. Put a four speed ball on the shifter, and who's going to know???

I want a six speed when I grow up.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Nice sites

Just wonder if 4:11's would be too low. I know I will have to make a gear change from the 3:08's but I don't want to lose first gear either. I think MikeKY figured somewhere around 200 mph for it with an online gear ratiio calculater :eek: No thanks:cool:

My shifter is in the rear locaton. I was able to move it forward about 3/8'' with the a new straight handled shifter. If I was a short guy it would be too far back.

·
12,256 Posts
i Installed A T-56 6-speed Anyone Else ??
I have a Viper T56 in my Nomad, but haven't driven it yet. It's from Keisler and it's the TNET-1247 which is the pre-2003 Viper tranny. It has a 2.66 first gear, a 0.74:1 overdrive 5th gear, and a 0.5:1 overdrive in 6th. I also have two new 2003+ Viper T56's (TUET-1806) that are supposed to be a lot stronger so I may use one of them instead. They don't have a speedo sensor, though, so I'll probably be using some other pulse generator for the speedo. I have a C4 Corvette suspension and the ABS sensor should work for that. :D

I've heard you can't buy the Viper T56 new anymore because Chrysler made Tremec quit selling them to anyone else. They're $4800 from Chrysler. :eek:

How do you like your T56?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I had one in the 1994 Firebird Formula I used to own. (Of course, that came stock in that car). It was honestly the only part of the car I DIDN'T have a problem with. Great highway mileage, smooth shifting action, much better than the T-5 I had in the car I owned previously. T56's will stand up to a lot of abuse, I know from experience!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts