Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting 350 4 speed in my 56 had oringal 6 cyl will I need to change rad or use shroud and a larger fan. No power steering or air.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You will probably need to add a shroud and a better fan at a minimum, Seems like many people go to a 350 or larger on a stock v8 or 6 radiator is where the stock system becomes marginal especially down south.

I was able to cool mine barely with a dual electric fans on a downflow 4 core stock replacement radiator , eventually I converted to a crossflow radiator.

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I bought an aluminum down flow radiator for the 6 cyl position off e-bay cause the stock 6 radiator with the four blade fan wouldn't cool the freshly built 350. I added a shroud and a 6 blade fan and now after breaking in the motor she runs cool even on the hottest of days.

Don

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Move the radiator to the v/8 position with adapers unless you have an extra radiator support for a v/8. I would install a 16 inch ball bearing fan from Skip White. I think about 38 .00 plus shipping. Mount on upstream side of radiator and use a shroud with 6 blade fan on downstream side on the water pump pulley. I have a 283 and only use the electric fan on the car. I use a boiler circulator pump thermostat and a rib relay to control the fan. Set for 170 degrees on and 160 off. Problem with these cars is no shroud and they over heat when idling with the stock 4 blade fan. The electric fans help a great deal. Jim

·
Registered
690 Posts
I ran a 350 with a flex fan with the stock radiator for years. The car ran 12.90's in the quarter in Memphis. When I got the blower motor, I bought a Griffin radiator with a puller fan and only have to use it in the extreme summer. (I'm not running a thermostat though). The radiator is still in the 6 cyl position.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
A shroud should do the job. We have been through all those headaches as all we got over here in Australia was the 210 version with the 6 and three on the tree. First thing they usually do pull the 6 banger out and drop in, most of the time big blocks. Thats when the heating trouble all started. Some guys have put in over sized radiators by removing most of the radiator surport panel and filling it with radiator. In doing that that we now not getting hot enough so they installed higher temp thermostats. It's costly but well worth it to preserve the BB Chev.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I got the shroud from Ecklers. I got the fan and clutch from Summit Racing.
Part number on shroud? Cant seem to find that shape by browsing pictures on ecklers site.

I am replacing my shroudless original, leaky and beat to hades (but still cooling the 350) brass down with an alum down and want to shroud it. Was considering the stock steel shroud painted to match body - but your setup is the cats meow!

EDIT: Duh - never mind - was on vette site.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It takes a lot to cool these HP SBC

I used to have trouble keeping my (bigger than 283) SBC cool in southern summer traffic. So I’ve done several things that all add up to make summer driving fun.

Started with a 17” 6 blade fan ¾” from the radiator,
then double pulleys on crank and pump
(with doubles the crank pulley is larger diameter than the water pump one as opposed to the other way around on singles so pump runs faster than engine),
30% higher volume water pump (impeller has backing plate so no water recalculates in pump),
“Z” series radiator (50% more tubes per inch),
ABS fan shroud
and finally a sealed recovery system so coolant volume stays at maximum.

I only have double pulleys on the crank and water pump with one belt running just between them dedicated to the pump/fan and one belt running over them to the alternator. I can run my belts much looser as they will not slip (squeal) in this configuration.

In the V8 position all this looks pretty much stock to the casual observer except for the chrome alternator and ABS fan shroud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts