Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found the power box i needed at the last swap meet. i believe its off like a regal or something to that nature. i also have my stock box. a guy told me i need to take the boxes apart, and add the shaft out of the stock one, and then lengthen the bottom part. does anyone have pics of this process. i looked through like 7 pages and didnt find much. thanks for your helpbowtie-trifive

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
As I recall when I converted a box 15-20 years ago the was a kit with instructions, mounting bracket and seals avaible from CCI. I gave up on the idea because I felt it was a cobbled up mess and retained manual steering on my 56. My 55 is a 396 with a 4 speed and I felt PS was going to be necessary. The new 400 dollar 500 series box is worth every penny. The 605 box is a piece of junk from cheap G bodies from the late 70s. They leaked and were problems in their OEM applicartion, I have never seen one on a high end car like Cutlass.

·
Administrator
49,953 Posts
You might check on ecklers site and see if they have that in the instruction sheets. It was printed in their tech article books that they used to sell. Like USA1 said that is old technology now. The newer 500 and 600 boxes are the way to go now.
Terry

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,845 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
CPP Tech article:
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_articles/567-605-power-steering/tri-five-605.htm

CPP sold the kit for the conversion. I just looked and they no longer have it listed for sale.
It would make sense since they sell the new 500 steering box.

You also have to weld the two together or buy the mounting bracket. CPP still sells the mounting bracket.
I did what you are trying to achieve six years ago before the 500 box was available.
Saving money is important but the CPP 500 box is really the best option now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts