Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several threads and understand the 605 is not the best. I have 56 210 w/zz502 BB. The 605 is mounted to welded bracket sitting on top of the frame. Is there a direct replacement anyone can recommend without having to modify motor mounts or headers that will bolt right up? I’ve got about a 1/4 inch of space between headers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
CPP 500 box. (usually cheaper at Auto City Classics). It bolts to the 3 original holes in the classic. You will have to remove the mounting plate of the 605.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
The CPP500 box goes EXACTLY where the 605 is now. There are no changes to make except for removing the bracket that's been welded to the frame (it was added for the 605, it's not factory). The same rag joint will even work, though this might be a good time to replace it.

A Borgeson 670 box will work too, except that you have to use a different rag joint.

Either box is slightly smaller than a 605, so the clearance issues don't change.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Is there anything wrong with your 605 now? Or are you just looking to change? If it works good I would leave it. I am willing to bet when you change to the 500 it will hit your headers and you'll open a big can of worms trying to get it to clear.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
605 = heavy paper weight. Dangerous, feels like crap.
500 = do it. Especially if you currently have a 605 in place.
Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m still thinking about it, worried about header clearance not only at top but the way it routes below as well, just finished with exhaust welds and not looking to spend money on headers and additional exhaust modifications. 605 still works and isn’t leaking....yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts