Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rookie question of the day:

What's the advantage of the 605 steering box? I did a search on trifive, and I couldn't find "605"-- so I am sorry if this is a repeat.

I see all sorts of references to 605 steering installations, how to upgrade from the old box, etc. Does it ease the installation of a new column? Easier steering? Or is the standard box un-serviceable?

While I am at it... I was at the Scottsdale Pavillions car show (billed as the largest weekly car show in the nation) and I was obviously checking out the trifives there. A couple of things peaked my curiosity.

I noticed that installing a tilt steering column seems to move the steering wheel away from the dash quite a bit. Am I wrong? Is this noticable?

Also, I noticed several cars had an really small powersteering pump with a remote fluid resevoir. Where do you get that? I poked around Danchuck a bit, but I could have missed it.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Below is a link to the conversion process. To try to answer your questions,

1. 605 conversion is 'a' way to add power steering to a tri-five.

2, Power steering makes it easier to steer and when you go with a smaller custom steering wheel.

3. The small pump can be used with a remote resevoir. Corvette used a small pump as did other models that I can't remember off hand (maybe Astro vans). I used a mid-60's pump and brkt setup on mine.

4. You actually can add a tilt column while keeping a stock box, but if your upgrading the column, I see no reason not to do the steering box as well.

5. You are right in that some columns are cut too long and extend too far from the dash. This came about (I think) because of Classic Chevy Intl. did a column and put the tech info in their book for doing upgrades. I did mine from that info and while it really looks fine, if I did another I would remove 4.5 inches from the length rather than the suggested 3.5 inches.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MikeKy55 said:
4. You actually can add a tilt column while keeping a stock box, but if your upgrading the column, I see no reason not to do the steering box as well.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83
That's exactly why I posed the question. If your original power steering box is good, why change to the 605?

If you car didn't originally have power steering, why not use a 55-57 power steering box? why go through a day's work on a modified box if you can find an original one on ebay or in Hemming's? Are orignial power steering boxes that scarce?

I'm the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" sort of guy. I gotta admit, I am lazy too! :) I don't want to have to modify a 605 box if I don't have too.

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Rob there is a guy, I think he`s in Mesquite,Tx. that sells a setup like the original p.s that is supposed to work real good. I don`t have any contact info on him at this time. And on the tilt column lengths, i bet what you saw was the ididit or flaming river tilts. They do move the steering wheel out a good bit, in my opinion. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
4,460 Posts
Rob, the trifives didn't really have a power steering box. They used the same box as the manual steer car. They had a slave cylinder on the drag link and a pump on the back of the generator. You can add that type of power steering, but it's pricey and the slave cylinder is in the way of a lot of the oil pans used in modified cars. Of course if your planning a stock car and want to keep original, it would work fine.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MikeKy55 said:
Rob, the trifives didn't really have a power steering box. They used the same box as the manual steer car. They had a slave cylinder on the drag link and a pump on the back of the generator. You can add that type of power steering, but it's pricey and the slave cylinder is in the way of a lot of the oil pans used in modified cars. Of course if your planning a stock car and want to keep original, it would work fine.
OK! cool! Now I get it. I didn't know the original was a slave unit. I have a similar set up on my 68 Cougar. That has always been a pain. It's one of the lowest parts of the car, I had to relocate it for headers, then hoses would get caught on stuff, hoses would break causing a serious mess under the car... yuck.

All-in-all the 605 would be a pretty attractive set up then.

Side note: When I was at the car show last weekend, I asked two separate guys with 605 boxes the same question. Both were clueless. Neither of them had built (or apparently had anything to do with the construction of) their cars.

anyway.. thanks!

·
4,460 Posts
Side note: When I was at the car show last weekend, I asked two separate guys with 605 boxes the same question. Both were clueless. Neither of them had built (or apparently had anything to do with the construction of) their cars.
That's why I do everything on my cars myself. I can tell about every square inch of my car. Not all at one time of course :D

Last weekend at the show when they gave me a "Road Warrior" award, that was more meaningful to me than the trophy I got.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just as a extra thought to this thread, what about swapping the box and front steering linkages for a power rack & pinion?

Isn't there an aftermarket set up which uses all the original mounting points for the new rack & pinion set up? I seem to remember the only modification was to alter the length of the shaft that connects the original column to the new rack, although forgive me if my memory is a bit inaccurate! lol

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Click on the banner dfbrakes at the top of our forum they have the rack and pinion setup for a 57 chevy, etc

otis:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Otis, looks like something that will have to go on my shopping list!

I like the idea of a bolt on upgrade, i'm far more confident with nuts and bolts than I am with fabrication work! :eek:

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
605 steering conversion

i bought the unit along with disk brakes in carlisle last year and am going to install next month.i looked at what i have and i have the old slave unit for power assist.when i look at the column the shift linkage only has about 2-2.5 inches from the end of the column where it goes into the steering box.how much do i cut off or do imove the column out further

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Also, I noticed several cars had an really small power steering pump with a remote fluid reservoir. Where do you get that?

Type two power steering pump with remote reservoir came on 1987 Pontiac Sunbird. They can be purchased at any parts store for about $90.00 or less.

If you cannot find a bracket then go to Alan Grove.

1,544 Posts
i bought the unit along with disk brakes in carlisle last year and am going to install next month.i looked at what i have and i have the old slave unit for power assist.when i look at the column the shift linkage only has about 2-2.5 inches from the end of the column where it goes into the steering box.how much do i cut off or do imove the column out further
Check your mailbox for a couple articles, hope they help.
Bob

I sent a different article, hope you can open it this time.
Bob

1,544 Posts
rookie question of the day:

What's the advantage of the 605 steering box? I did a search on trifive, and I couldn't find "605"-- so I am sorry if this is a repeat.

One advantage is you can build it yourself and save big bucks, it bolts to the frame using the same holes but you will need to add a bracket to the top part, I have a template for that bracket if you need it, as far as feel and wandering, if it wanders something isn't right, I have all kinds of articles on PS conversions if you need them, check the list on my website.
Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
sorry about that but my mailbox couldn,t retreive your info,i was still woundering about the right length on my steerig column,

·
Registered
187 Posts
600 Series Delphi Saginaw Steering Box
http://www.classicperform.com/fullsize.htm#Power Steering Pumps
This is this best box as far as feeling the road and it Won't wonder Like the 605. IT IS A NEW BOX not a revamped old one. I Don't Know if Classic Performance Products is a TriFive site sponsor but they are a good company to deal with.
We just installed this unit in 55. I don't have the car back yet because it was trailered to the allignment shop today. The toe was out. Hopefully they can get the problem fixed so we can make it to the Morro Bay car show this weekend. We did have problems with the hoses they originaly sent and had to get another set. The leak seems to be solved. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
yugogl57,
On your steering column you can cut it down yourself or buy one pre made from Classic Chevy. I think the way to go is the #53-358 If you don't already have a rag joint. They have a service now to cut your column #53-400SVC. Or you can get the kit to cut your own.
EZ

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Hazmatguy, you may also purchase a 500 series box which everyone that has one maintains that the road feel is super, much better that the 605. I have a 605 box that I installed to go from manual to power steering. It is much easier than manual but no road feel, I'm headed to the 500 box. My 2 cents. TJN/56NOMAD

1 - 20 of 20 Posts