Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 621 bell housing that I want to use on my 57.my question is what do I do about the bell housing bracket for the clutch linkage as there is no way to bolt
it on like on the original bell housing?I plan on running a 11" flywheel & clutch
or should I stay with the original bell housing,will an 11"clutch fit into it?
I am using side mounts and rear trans cross member.
Tony's Last Toy :gba: :p3:

·
Premium Member
14,040 Posts
use the stock bell housing . much safer and has all the bracket holes.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Your 11 inch flywheel will fit a stock Tri-five bellhousing. The stock bellhousing uses a 168 tooth ring gear flywheel. If you use the stock bellhousing you won't have to buy an adapter bracket for the clutch linkage. Another advantage with the cast iron bellhousing is perfect starter alignment. This is not always the case with block mounted starters.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
where did you get that bracket,who makes it? The 621 is a Chevy/GM bell housing.

Nearly everyone has them, I got mine at Ecklers (classic chevy) when they had a sale. Danchuk, Mutton Hollow, I think nearly every supplier of trifive parts. Take a look at the sponsors on this site.... most are having a 4th of July sale which is 10-15% off. Pays the shipping!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
Thanks for the info,I will have to run over to Eckler's tomorrow.But the only problem that I have is every time I go there it's around lunch time and then I land up over in Port Canaveral by the inlet having a burger and a beer(s) and that kills the rest of the afternoon,and I hate when that happens. Thanks,Tony
Tony....Will have to give you a holler next time I'm down your way. :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Read the other clutch linkage posts, the clutch arm drops a little lower with a late model bellhousing. The arm exits the bellhousing lower than a stock bellhousing, thus creating a possible issue with the linkage angle from the z-bar to the clutch arm.
I am actually considering changing back to a stock bellhousing to correct that (as much as I don't want to)....

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
On Clutches

I have a new 621 bell housing that I want to use on my 57.my question is what do I do about the bell housing bracket for the clutch linkage as there is no way to bolt
it on like on the original bell housing?I plan on running a 11" flywheel & clutch
or should I stay with the original bell housing,will an 11"clutch fit into it?
I am using side mounts and rear trans cross member.
Tony's Last Toy :gba: :p3:
Have you ever tried using the 10.4 inch clutch? The new technology they don't slip and they are so smooth. I am 72 and I have owned 6 400 horse 55 chevies and all I have ever run is thwe 10.4 inch clutch. Last time on the strip I ran a 12.90 and never power shifted it. Also I use the Borg Warner clutches over the counter and have never replaced or lost one

Hope this helps, oh, they are cheaper

gary

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
another subject

I have a fresh restoration of a 55 chev 2 door sedan. It has a Pace Chev 350 engine with an Isky cam with mild numbers, one step over RV and H&S roller rockers with an Eldebrock 4 barrell and Mallory Unilite with vaccumm advance Everything is new and I have not been able to get the car to run right as ther is no vaccum port for a distributor and using one of the other ports cause extreme vaccum and espeecially on take off its anything but smooth. My buddy says that I should pull the distruibutor an get a Unilite with mechanical advance and everything with smooth out.
Do you have any thoughts on this

Gary

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the info,I will have to run over to Eckler's tomorrow.But the only problem that I have is every time I go there it's around lunch time and then I land up over in Port Canaveral by the inlet having a burger and a beer(s) and that kills the rest of the afternoon,and I hate when that happens.
Thanks,Tony
Perhaps you should have some cheese with that whine
Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts