Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am replacing a powerglide with a 700R4 on my 57 Chevy. My engine is a 327 from 65 with an original 1965 Rochester 4GC carburetor. My question is if putting the pin to hook the TV cable on the same hole where the power glide rod used to be would give me the correct geometry.
I can see on ebay lots of “Cable Corrector Kits” for Edelbrock and Holley, but nothing for Rochester. Do I need one of those?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
José

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
700R4 cable

To operate a 700R4 correctly the pin hole has to be a certain distance from the throttle shaft centerline and the number of degrees of travel has to be correct. This information used to be posted on the TCI auto website but today I couldn't find it. Link for diagram can be seen by clicking the Tech 2 button near the bottom of the page below.
I found a link that tells you how important this is to the life of the transmission

http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks a lot for the hint, I have jsut chat with a tech from TCI and he said that I could use Part# 376710, which is the same used on Edelbrock and Carter.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Careful...........

You can destroy this transmission immediately if you set this up wrong........

Just me but I would consult a 700r4 transmission expert before you endeavor....

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,982 Posts
I used to have a 327 with an early Q-Jet when I first got my 700r4. I became a student of the throttle geometry and tried a number of correctors......I finally got it to shift "OK"....but it was never smooth from 1st - 2nd and just figured it was the shift kit in the tranny or something....

Then I stripped the inlet threads on my Q-Jet and decided to get an Edelbrock carb. Naturally, I used their throttle corrector to connect my TV cable........and suddenly the transmission shifted beautifully.

The geometry of the cable pull has to be perfect from start to wide open throttle......if you find that you can't get it quite right, the best solution might be to pick up an Edelbrock or Holley (whichever you prefer) and use their corrector.

Ace

·
Registered
535 Posts
4GC linkage is good

The geometry is correct on the 4GC for use with the 700R4 transmission. There is no need for the "corrector linkage". There is a web site that has a diagram of the geometry that is needed and the 4GC is spot on. Here is a copy of the measurements.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,212 Posts
The geometry is correct on the 4GC for use with the 700R4 transmission. There is no need for the "corrector linkage". There is a web site that has a diagram of the geometry that is needed and the 4GC is spot on. Here is a copy of the measurements.
the attached geometry in post 7 is correct. It is what I used and it is perfect.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts
For what its worth....I didn't need a corrector bracket with my Q-Jet either.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I have a Bowtieoverdrives "corrector" on my AFB. Maybe I didn't need it.:confused0006:

·
Registered
555 Posts
corrector linkage

Bowtie Overdrives uses their own style cable too . On one of their trannies , they send a pressure gage and want your readngs to honor their warranty ! A buddy of mine has their 700r4 and the first unit quit working completely ! He pulled it and took it back , they honored their warranty and replaced it , no questions asked !

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I did not need one on my Quickfuel 750 either.

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts