Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my new 700r4 tranmission pretty well dialed in. I adjusted my carb linkage to get Wide Open Throttle from the pedal, and adjusted the TV cable to full extension right a that point. It improved a rough 1-2 shift, and I'm getting good spread on shifts with WOT, and good downshifts.....except:

The one test it continues to fail on is the 2-1 downshift with pedal to the floor right after the 1-2 shift.

Does this point to a specific adjustment that needs to be made other than the TV cable?

·
Premium Member
13,896 Posts
No it does not. the tv cable is all the adjustment you have, Most 700r4's suffer from this due to the governor arangement and the 3.07 first gear. if your moving mutch more than a crawl they won't downshift to 1st. GM did this to stop parts breakage in rearends and such. sorry it is just part of the design. it otherwise sound like you got it spot on . enjoy :happy0030:

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that's good to know!......

I am also not getting "double downshifts". If I'm in OD lock-up at a fairly low speed like 35mph, it drops into 3rd and chugs. Seems like it should drop into
2nd. (transgo dash 2 shift kit installed at time of rebuild)

any pointers appreciated.

·
Registered
425 Posts
if your moving mutch more than a crawl they won't downshift to 1st. GM did this to stop parts breakage in rearends and such. sorry it is just part of the design. [/QUOTE]

Hotrodg726 is right on.:tu

I've played with the govenor springs and weights
and the TV cable also to get the trans to downshift quicker.
I've even installed a governor from a th 350 trans and yes it
worked a little better but as stated ( if your moving much more
than a crawl they won't downshift into 1st. I'ts part of the design.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts