Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
i have a 55 belair 4dr. it has a 305 eng with a 350 trans out of a 77 nova in it
i am thinking of puting in an earily model 700r trans in it for the overdrive
does anyone know if i need to change the driveshaft length.( it is stock length for the belair).
what other mods might i need to do.
or is this one of those projects i just have to wait and see what mods turn up
thanks
norm
[email protected]

·
Registered
176 Posts
700r4

the driveshaft will definitely need to be changed as the 700r4 is a longer transmission ( it has been a while since I did one but 3 1/2 inches kind of sticks in my mind ) be sure and get someone that is familiar with the 700r4 to help you rig up a shift point cable to your carb linkage, this is critical for the trans to perform correctly and for it to last. there are several companies that make the attachment to your carb to make it work correctly or if the guy knows what he is doing you can fabricate one.:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The stock length drive shaft will have to be shortened and the crossmember moved back some. You will need brackets for the TV cable setup either adapt a factory setup or go with a lokar or other aftermarket setup, also your carb may need a adapter to connect the tv cable to as the geometry for the tv attachment has to be right for the tv to work properly and not burn up the transmission.

Regards, Robert

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
when i had the 700r4 put in my 55, the drive shaft had to be shortened. not a big deal. :party0031:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
r700 help

thanks for all the replies
i have found a mech that knows all about the 700 r 4 trans.
the only concern he had is that he has not seen one connected to a
2 bbl carb it is a stock rochester 2bbl
can anyone put some light on this for me?
norm

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
700R4 upgrade

NORM,
ONE MORE THING , USE A later trans (AFTER 86) TO GET ALL THE UPGRADES If I remember correctly they changed converter spline count and their were issues with fins in early pumps breaking.:anim_25:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.