Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I hope there is a transmission expert that can clear this up for me please!
I am rebuilding a 700r4 from 1992, I have seen a lot of videos and have read a lot of articles on the internet, but I have never seen anything about the orientation of the front pump bushing. I know that it has to be removed from the front to the interior of the pump and install it the opposite direction. I have used a Teflon bushing and used Loctite (sleeve retainer) to install it. I drove it to the step down from inside and the stop on the front side.
But then I was reading on the ATSG and I saw the image below on page 92, where they explain that…
“It needs to orient the seam of the bushing so that it points at to the bolt hole next to the pivot pin”
I do not understand 100% what it means!
Should the seam point in that rotational direction or should it be aligned with that hole?
If it is that it needs to point that direction it does not apply to my bushing, because mine is not seamed like the pictured one… mine is just a straight cut.
I have not assembled the transmission, so if it is a critical thing I would do it. The pump is assembled, but I can still open it, buy a new bushing and seal and install it as they say.
Please any advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Hi,
I hope there is a transmission expert that can clear this up for me please!
I am rebuilding a 700r4 from 1992, I have seen a lot of videos and have read a lot of articles on the internet, but I have never seen anything about the orientation of the front pump bushing. I know that it has to be removed from the front to the interior of the pump and install it the opposite direction. I have used a Teflon bushing and used Loctite (sleeve retainer) to install it. I drove it to the step down from inside and the stop on the front side.
But then I was reading on the ATSG and I saw the image below on page 92, where they explain that…
“It needs to orient the seam of the bushing so that it points at to the bolt hole next to the pivot pin”
I do not understand 100% what it means!
Should the seam point in that rotational direction or should it be aligned with that hole?
If it is that it needs to point that direction it does not apply to my bushing, because mine is not seamed like the pictured one… mine is just a straight cut.
I have not assembled the transmission, so if it is a critical thing I would do it. The pump is assembled, but I can still open it, buy a new bushing and seal and install it as they say.
Please any advice would be really appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Align your bearing split with the hole.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have built a lot of 700r4 transmissions it doesn't make any difference where the split is..In fact I use a 2004r bushing which is slightly tighter in the bore and never had any problems...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.