Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone... I know there is a lot of interest on installing a 700r4. I thought I would give an update on where I am with my install.

The car is a '56 210 Sportcoupe and it came to me with a 350 with a th350. The motor still had the front mounts, and the trans had side mounts.

The 700r4 comes from Bowtie Overdrives. I chose them for all their knowledge and experience with putting the 700r4 in trifives and other cars. They also have a 1yr warranty from the time of install. They gave me pretty much everything I need to install and successfully test the trans.

Pulling the motor and trans was uneventful, but I think that was the last piece that went as planned.

Removing the original trans mounts was a weekend event and was an exercise in patience and persistence. Installing the new trans mount followed suit and the exhaust X pipe was smack in the way and had to get cut out.

After 3 test fittings, the engine and trans dropped into place for the last time.

I am now figuring out my trans cooler system. I have decided to keep using the cooler in the radiator and add an additional cooler up front. this seems to be the consensus recommendation for effective cooling. The cooler I decided on is a B&M 70268.

I have everything roughed in place until I can get the exhaust done so I can finalize my plumbing route.

I am hoping to have the car ready to start testing the trans in a week or two, and then the fun starts!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Coming along nicely! Do you have a stock steering column? Have you given thought to the shift cable/indicator hookup? Just wondering for my 700R install.

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
nice, thanks for sharing. :tu

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
CJ your plan for the cooler is actually very good . most people don't realize that transmission fluid needs some heat in it to properly lubricate. Keep up the good work. John

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all, I will fill in more as I get further. Really hoping to finish up in the next few weeks.

I am using the stock steering column, and I am currently working on the transmission linkage. I have Kugel linkage kit I am trying to fit in. I have it mocked into place for the exhaust install, then will finalize it after the exhaust is in place. As for the shift indicator, I am using a Dakota Digital shift indicator system.

The motor mounts are from CPP. They seem very good and strong. I did have to bolt them to the motor and drop the motor into place to get them lined up properly. It isnt the prescribed install method, but I couldnt figure a better way to get them lined up.

Cj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts