Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to put a 700r4 into our ragtop, has a 350 turbo 350 with chassis engineering side bolt motor mount kit which puts the engine a little ahead of the stock position,I remember when we installed the engine and transmission about 15 years ago the turbo 350 was really tight back at the I-beam xmember of the frame. Has anyone done this conversion? Will it fit or does the the x-member have to be modified? If it is just a little bit of trimming on the bottom of the xmember say an inch or 2 off the lip I would do that but if its major I am not willing to butcher my car but overdrive is the only way to go. I know the 700r4 is about 3 inches longer. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
6 Posts
700r4 in a rag top

hello, big block. contact bow tie overdrives and tell them what you
want to do, ask for steve he knows everything about installing the 700r4
in any tri-5.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you're near Central Florida I have a 700R4 sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't want to steal your thread but it seems u have a good answer.

If you don't mind can I get some thoughts on putting a 4L60E into a 56 with a six banger. Was going BB but now will get a SB. Any problems with fitting it? Does someone make a bolt in crossmember? The six has rear and front mounts with no crossmember.

I haven't looked at the 60E in awhile so is it possible to use the present front and rear mounts with some fabrication or do I have to go side mounts and crossmember?

·
Registered
277 Posts
700-R into Rag Top

The 700-R will fit without modifieing X member. with your motor mounts. A simple 1/4" or 3/8" by 2 1/2" flat plate for the trans mount can be made. Lon

·
Registered
277 Posts
jobberone

If I understand your question you will have to go with side mounts on motor and mount under trans. You can't have afront mount on motor and rear mount on trans, there would be no stability for torque. Lon

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I understand your question you will have to go with side mounts on motor and mount under trans. You can't have afront mount on motor and rear mount on trans, there would be no stability for torque. Lon
Thanks. I knew that would be a problem but I know of people who have done it with 300HP engines that are just cruised. I'm in a time crunch as well as wanting to leave the car as stock as possible as I'm going to likely put the six back in at some point. Once I start a little mod here then there then it mushrooms.

I've asked this several places but not gotten an answer so I'll try here too. Will an 86 or back SBC bolt to a 56 six banger bell housing?

Also I could not find an aftermarket vendor that made a modulator that would allow anything but permanent manual shifting of the 4L60E. I was under the impression it would work on vacuum but I guess not. I thought this might help those here who didn't know the 700R works fine but the 4L60E doesn't without the stand alone computer and wiring.

To the original poster I'm waiting on an answer from a friend who did this on a 57 vert.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jobberone, I would try contacting one of the trans rebuilders about putting that trans in to see what they would use to control it. Try TCI or B&M, or some of the others.
Dave

I've called a lot. You apparently can't take a 60E and make it shift without a computer unless you are willing to settle for permanently making every shift manually.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't know about a 4L60 and didn't know they made a non-electronic one. I'd like to know about a 4L80 non electronic tranny. I don't understand why you have to make every shift. I'd really like to get a 80 built I could use without a computer or it at least not have to shift the first three gears manually.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wanting to put a 700r4 into our ragtop, has a 350 turbo 350 with chassis engineering side bolt motor mount kit which puts the engine a little ahead of the stock position,I remember when we installed the engine and transmission about 15 years ago the turbo 350 was really tight back at the I-beam xmember of the frame. Has anyone done this conversion? Will it fit or does the the x-member have to be modified? If it is just a little bit of trimming on the bottom of the xmember say an inch or 2 off the lip I would do that but if its major I am not willing to butcher my car but overdrive is the only way to go. I know the 700r4 is about 3 inches longer. Thanks for any info
Per someone who has done it you don't have to mess with the X on your ragtop with the 700R. You do have to shorten the driveshaft although you could put a gearvendor in :) and get true OD.

BTW you should expect a very big first gear when you go to the 700. A mid 3 rear end will feel like a low 4 according to my informer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The '57 rag top in my avatar has an '87 Corvette 350 TPI and 700-R trans. I bought an '87Vette for the motor and trans NOT knowing that the 700-R in a Vette is differant than a passenger car 700-R. There is no conventional trans mount and more space will be taken up because of the tail housing girder system mount. I think you can take the tail housing off a conventional 700-R and swap to the Vette tranny BUT I decided to make my own mount. If I had to do it over I would not have used the Vette tail housing. Something to think about when looking 4 a 700-R. Lon

·
Registered
37 Posts
The '57 rag top in my avatar has an '87 Corvette 350 TPI and 700-R trans. I bought an '87Vette for the motor and trans NOT knowing that the 700-R in a Vette is differant than a passenger car 700-R. There is no conventional trans mount and more space will be taken up because of the tail housing girder system mount. I think you can take the tail housing off a conventional 700-R and swap to the Vette tranny BUT I decided to make my own mount. If I had to do it over I would not have used the Vette tail housing. Something to think about when looking 4 a 700-R. Lon
Great info Lon. I wouldn't have thought of that although I should as much as I mess with vettes. Again great post and thanks. Could someone post a pic of the regular 700R and could u post a pic of the tail housing on your vette 700R.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Best I can do................

First pic is an '87 Vette 700-R in a '57 Convert
Second is a 700-R out of a ? in a '67 Camaro Convert.
Third is a 700-R conventional

1 - 15 of 15 Posts