Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be trial fitting a 454 into my 56 Bel Air this weekend, but don't have the 700R4 trans yet. I do have a 350 trans. What would change as far as mocking it up with the 350 trans? It looks like the only difference would be moving the trans crossmember back a couple of inches. :confused0006:
Thanks, Karl

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
700R4 upgrade

Is that a under 475 horse 454 you've got . Maybe you ought to be lookin' ata 6L80E or a T400 with a gear Vendors overdrive with a big horse if you're ever going to stand on it hard. I hope your using s 3/4 move ahead mount set for firewall clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Is that a under 475 horse 454 you've got . Maybe you ought to be lookin' ata 6L80E or a T400 with a gear Vendors overdrive with a big horse if you're ever going to stand on it hard. I hope your using s 3/4 move ahead mount set for firewall clearance.
ditto! 4L 80 E?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Basically a..

ditto! 4L 80 E?
t-400 w/ od. Takes a "black box" to operate it. Just put 1 in my bud's 60 Impy vert w/ a 470" 409! Works great!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. This is a totally stock 454 that will be used for cruising down the Hwy. Stock cam and all. I do have the 3/4" mounts. I already own the 700R4 but it's in my Nomad now, which will eventually go back to a P/G. So a 700 it will be, Thanks again, Karl

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I may leave the 700 R4 in the Nomad, so what year and model has a 4L80E trans and what is a 6L80E. How do they work on a non computer engine? This is an area I've never been before, Thanks, Karl

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Karl I don't know what a 6L80E is, I think maybe that was a typo. I have two 4L80E' both in trucks 93 454 surburban and 99 3500 pickup. they are computer operated hence the E , electronic. tough transmissions.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
6L80E

IF I remember correctly the first letter indicates number of forward speeds . Hence a 6 is 6 forward speeds (2 overdrive gears). These trans are orignally in Chevy trucks. One drawback might be tranny size, much larger diameter compared to a 700r4. :D

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
87-92 is where you want to be stay away from those with an E suffix. I an is the process of this conversion and have been told by my tranny guy that 4L60 is an upgraded 700 and the best. A 700 from 82-86 will work but they lack upgrades in later ones.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
700r4 & 4L60E are basically the same trans, the 700 is controlled by a TV cable and the 4L60E is computer controled... The 4L80E is a heavy duty version of the 4L60E (like the difference between a TH350 and TH400)... The 6L80E is a heavy duty 6 speed automatic and is computer controlled... I'm pretty sure you can buy a stand alone computer controller for the E versions...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, Thanks for all the advice. Since my automatic transmission knowledge is pretty thin, I believe I will let the experts do the work for me and I'll write the check. From past experience, in this case, you get what you pay for. Karl

·
Registered
206 Posts
d.s. is right in his last post. i build my own trans and im running a 700r4 behine my 502 with a tunnel ram some what built motor and not a problem. if you dont know much about trannies then resort to a pro that builds them . 700r4 can be built to handle pretty stout horsepower along with proper install and good cooling system can last

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
4L80E

Just read a web site about trannies. It had a gear ratio chart that said gear ratios in a t400and 4L80E were exactly the same with the 4L80E having additional overdrive gear.:wavey:

·
Registered
308 Posts
If money IS a concern and you are running a bone stock 454, as long as you run a good cooler and make sure your throttle pressure is set right you wont have any issues with the 700R4, but if you are going to run power, you had better have the 700 "built" or bought, if you do it will handle youre power and for probably less money and heart ache with controllers in the 6L and 4L80 "E" units, even a 4 or 6L60E unit will need some work before you throw gobs of power at it..just my two cents, but trannys is the families specialty...also take into concideration what rearend set you are running, bone stock original rearend you may be happy enough with a TH350 or 400?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyone's response. I will, be using a bone stock 454 and will buy a 700R4 from a reputable shop. I will also be using a 9" rearend.
Does anyone have any suggestions on which transmission company has the best value? I'm leary of allot of the "EBAY" and simililar shops online.
Thanks again, Karl

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
700R4

Take a look at Phoenix transmissions I think they are in Weatherford,TX call them they have very good techs that will take time with you.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
TRANNY BUILDER

I FIGURERD I BUY FROM A COMPANY IN BUSINESS FOR A LONG TIME, WITH A SOLID REPUTATION AND GOOD PARTS AVAILABILITY , SO I BOUGHT ALL MATCHING PARTS FROM TCI AUTO. TRANNY ON SALE , SAVED SOME CASH.:happy0030:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts