Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a 700r4 put in, and the installer put in a shift kit. I'm being told it was for firmer shifts, and to allow the car to shift from 3-4 at WOT which was a performance upgrade... However, due to this shift kit, the car will not downshift from 4-3 for passing, etc...which I find very annoying.

Installer now says that he'll need to add a check ball to a valve body (or something along those lines) to get the kick-down back. But, I will lose the shift from 3-4 at WOT. I'll need to let off the throttle for that final shift to occur.

I'd rather have the kick-down than the 3-4 for WOT......but this all seems odd to me, as you would think these transmissions should be able to perform all of these functions. Am I having the wool pulled over my eyes by this installer?

I'm told my 700 is a 1992.

Thanks
Ace

·
Registered
36,112 Posts
As GM built it, the transmission isn't going to shift into overdrive when the throttle is wide open.

Depending on your gearing and power, the engine/gearing probably can't accelerate any more at that speed and rpm anyway. You're talking making that shift at 130-140 mph with typical street gearing. And how often do you need that even if you could pull it, if ever?

Maybe if you're going to Bonneville. It wouldn't even work drag racing IMO.

So I do buy into the check ball mod, that's how it's accomplished, and not surprising that it's at the expense of the automatic downshift.

I'd rather have the downshift, wouldn't you?

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would absolutely prefer the 4-3 kickdown.....the 3-4 WOT isn't that meaningful to me a cruiser convertible. I appreciate the validation of what the installer is telling me. I just want to be sure I'm not wading in bs. Thanks Rick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That dose not sound right. Those kits allow 3-4 wot shifts but should still down shift at 75-80% trottle at least that is how there discribed.:confused0006:

·
Registered
206 Posts
what the builder is saying is wrong. there has been a mistake made in that valvebody, and by him saying he would add a checkball is his way to fix the mistake or correct something he overlooked.its a common mistake to overlook something i the valvebody as ive done and been building transmissions for 25 yrs. so from a builders stand point ive had to bite the bullet and fix mistakes , but on the other hand you dont want to show the customer you made a mistake.so a checkball story comes in handy.
in short give the builder a chance to fix it and see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the "angle of the dangle" is off with the TV cable bracket at the rear manifold bolts. I think it is at too LOW of an angle relative to where it connects to carb. I am going to add a TCI bracket (higher) at the carburetor bolt level to improve the cable angle........and hoping that will help.

Right now, because the TV cable is so low relative to carb, the first portion of cable movement is downward, and doesn't really pull "outward" on TV cable .....

(Installer used original TH350 kick down cable bracket, on rear manifold bolts, for TV bracket, and it is WAY lower than carb throttle.)

Ace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts