Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I'm putting a 700r4 trans. in my '56 gasser. I don't have a clue as to what I need to hook this up and make it work. Would someone please tell me in layman terms, keeping it as simple as possible, what I need and where I could buy the parts at. I really appreciate everyones response. Many thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know about you guys in the States, but over here in the UK I wouldn't touch a 700R4 box ever again, had nothing but trouble with one in my '32 roadster, ended up taking it out and opting for a TH350 which is a pleasure to drive, the 700 is never meant to race with anyway. Like has been said, you can lay out all those dollars and if it's not set up correctly then within the first few miles it's burnt out and your back to square one. Only my opinion but stay away, especially in your gasser, I've got a tuned 350ci, 4-speed muncie hooked upto the stock '57 axle and get an honest 20mpg with quick accelleration also, it's a no-brainer in my book.
Take care,
Micky T.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mickey, Man I couldn't agree with you more the 700R4 is a pain. I recently bought a Early Chrysler Hemi for a truck project I had going on. This Hemi came with an attached 700R4. After getting that big ole motor into that truck I took it out for its first trail run. I had the Dyno sheet on the Hemi and it was putting out an honest 425 HP, but that 700R4 made that thing run like a pig. I have never been so disappointed in any thing. After a couple of months of fabricating and sweating that engine install it was a total put down.

Took the truck straight from the tust run to the shop and had the tranny out that night. Installed a borg Warner T-10, 4 speed and never looked back. That BW T-10 made that truck into a real runner. Only got to keep that truck for about a week and swapped it for a 57 Chevy 2 dr wagon, a huge trade up. Now I'm pretty happy. Even through in the 700R4 into the swap just to get it out of the shop.

Roland

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/19898374/aview/1284365359552_100_3010__Small_.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
700R4

I've gotta agree with most of the previous answers,

The 700R4 is not the best choice for a hot rod unless you want to spend a lot to keep it alive, you could alter the valve body for constant pressure so you don't cook the clutch pak, just not mainstream.

If you want a overdrive, go with a tried and true 400 turbo and put a gear Vendors OD unit on the end of it, problem solved and it will be strong as ****.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Wow! I'm gonna go against the flow here........I love my 700R4's. I have one in my 71 C30 Longhorn pickup that I tow with every week.........it's been in the truck for at least 50K miles without a problem. I switched from TH350 to 700R4 in my 56 Studebaker 2 door wagon, and loved the difference. I'm putting one in my 56 210.........never thought of anything else. I always had my transmission builder set the tV cable, and never worried about them.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I have had a 700R4 in a 53 chevy with a 350 V8 and it was the best running car I have ever had. Had lots of low end power and great cruising in that 4th gear. The 700R4 was never meant to be a drag racing tranny it was meant for cruising. So depending what you want to use the car for. I myself can't see a Gasser without anything but a 4 speed. But I do understand if your gonna go racing then the 400 is probably your best choice for the consistantisy. If you do decide on a 700R4 the TV adjustment is the most critical adjustment on that tranny (but an easy adjustment to make).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a question which I hope someone can help me with. I'm putting a 700r4 trans. in my '56 gasser. I don't have a clue as to what I need to hook this up and make it work. Would someone please tell me in layman terms, keeping it as simple as possible, what I need and where I could buy the parts at. I really appreciate everyones response. Many thanks.

Hi carmine:)
I run a th700r in my 56 and have no problems.
If your looking for overdrive the 700 is the way to go.
You will need a throttle valve cable, a tv cable bracket,
A tv cable corrector kit for your brand carb that your running.
A shifter that will allow you to have 4 forward speeds.
Also some driveshaft mods.You will probably need to shorten the driveshaft.
Check out TCI transmissions they have everything you need.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You know guys we all need to be thankful that we have so many choices in engines and trannys etc. We are a lucky bunch!!

I also know that the 700R4 tranny swap is a popular one, my own personal experiance with this tranny was just bad. That doesn't mean that others have had a more favorable experiance. That is what choice is all about.

After reading some here and there on this swap I decided to look into the 700R4 just to see why my results were so bad. What I found out was the 700R4 and the 4L60 both are "Light Duty" transmissions with just a terrible set of gear choices. First gear is 3.06 in all 700R4 (stock) second gear is 1.63. After discovering that I really didn't need to read much further. Think about that, from a 3.06 1st to a 1.63 2nd is a drop of 47%, no wonder the thing was a pig in my Hemi swap! I mean in a M21 Muncie the shift from 1st to 3rd and skipping 2nd all together is only 41%. Knowing that I can see why I didn't like it.

I am glad that many of you are happy with your 700R4's, you are not alone as I have found this to be not only a pretty common swap but a popular one as well. The more I find out about this tranny though I just have to wonder why it is so popular?

Roland

·
Registered
421 Posts
You know guys we all need to be thankful that we have so many choices in engines and trannys etc. We are a lucky bunch!!

First gear is 3.06 in all 700R4 (stock) second gear is 1.63.

Roland

I hear ya on those gears Roland.
1st gear too steep and also the ratio from 1st to 2nd is too widespread.
I think the Th200 has a better selection.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I hear ya on those gears Roland.
1st gear too steep and also the ratio from 1st to 2nd is too widespread.
I think the Th200 has a better selection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.