Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local pick&pull today looking for a trans. Found one from an 88 v-8 Camaro and one from 88 2wd 1/2 ton. Is one better than the other? Not sure of mileage as dash parts are gone. The trans pan looks right. What about spline count and internal stuff? Would it pay to check the vin# with the local GM guys? I would have this rebuilt before it goes in the 57. thanks

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Did not know they put 350s in IROCs. I don't think its a wash at all. Whats different on a 700R4 from a 350 iroc from a 305 IROC?????????? I'm betting NOTHING. The Vette 700R4 probably has a few stronger hard parts in it.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Did not know they put 350s in IROCs. I don't think its a wash at all. Whats different on a 700R4 from a 350 iroc from a 305 IROC?????????? I'm betting NOTHING. The Vette 700R4 probably has a few stronger hard parts in it.
There are a lot of things you dont know, and while I am a first ans second gen Camaro owner expert I rely on my brother in law who bought his350 tuned port IROC new in 1987 and still own it with 19k. These cars are different than the 305 cars in many ways Borg Warner 9 Bolt reaqr axles to 700R4s with different governers and programing. I also helped with the 383 build on my buddys sons 89 IROC build to a 383.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
I know enough but to tell someone looking for advice on a trans that crap is not helping at all. I want to know your EXACT reason for telling him its a wash. The 305 700R4 is not going to hold up why? What I do know is that I have used several 700 trans'. Never had a problem. So enlighten us on the specifics

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
I have been doing research on this and found out a few things. They did have 350s in Irocs. As far as internal differences have not found anything. I did find this (copied from internet)

The 700r4 With Aux Valvebody Is 87-93 And Is A Much Better Transmission The Internal Differences Are Large Input Shaft And Pump Stator. This Is Important Becaue You Get A Much Better Torque Converter And A Better Pump Gear Assembly. They Aux Valvebody Helps Address The Problems That The Had With There Fourth Gear Clutch Apply And A Better Lubrication To Rear Planet Set. The Late Transmission Also Has A Better Input Sprag Assembly. Basically The 87-93 Is A Much Better Transmission Than The Early Models. If You Dont Want To Run A Lockup Torque Converter You Can Have Your Lockup Valve Assembly Elimanated With Transgo Dummy Lockup Valve Kit And Then Buy A Dummy Style Torque Converter. Any Expeirenced Torque Company Should Be Able To Build One For You. The Company That I Use Is Spec-rite You Should Be Able To Find Them On The Web. Hope I Helped You Out Good Luck A Well Built 700 Is Great Transmission. One Thing That Is Really Important For The Maxuim Life Of The 700 Is Proper Throttle Pressure To The Transmission. So It Is Really Important To Have The Throttle Cable Adjusted And Functioning Right.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
I want to state to you Mark, I'm not trying to start a fight at all. When I read something that I don't understand, I want specific answers. This will inform alot of us on here. Thanks to this post, the next time I'm at my local pick your parts salvage, I'm going to be looking for a 350 out of an IROC! I see them there alot but walk right on by.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I dont care what trans we are talking TH 350 400 700 or even 200r4, if its in a Corvette, Z28 or Buick GS the governers, converter stall speeds, and other programibg are different than four door grocery getters.My Ford driving buddies even strive to get a C-6 from a CJ car.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
Even if the calibration for a 350 Iroc is different from a 305 one, or a pickup, it's not enough to spit at.

What it won't have is a big servo like a Corvette trans has, and the governor is still calibrated for a TPI, which doesn't turn much rpm. So don't fret over the difference.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Even if the calibration for a 350 Iroc is different from a 305 one, or a pickup, it's not enough to spit at.

What it won't have is a big servo like a Corvette trans has, and the governor is still calibrated for a TPI, which doesn't turn much rpm. So don't fret over the difference.
I am pretty sure the 5.7 IROC got the same stuff the Corvette.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
I agree that GM probably did give it the same stuff as the Vette but it does not mean the other trannys are junk. My broke butt can only afford the regular 700R4s. I also don't run a 500 plus horsepower engine either. I have installed a few 700s in tri5s and love them.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
If it does have the big (Corvette) servo that is a desirable thing. It will greatly improve the 1-2 shift. And an aftermarket one will run you $100 or so.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I agree that GM probably did give it the same stuff as the Vette but it does not mean the other trannys are junk. My broke butt can only afford the regular 700R4s. I also don't run a 500 plus horsepower engine either. I have installed a few 700s in tri5s and love them.
Who said anything about "junk" I didnt, all I said was given a choice I will go for the trans from a IROC over a truck. I try to use the best stuff possible because it all breaks and I dont enjoy doing things twice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts