Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8.5" nova rear end that is 60.25" wide that needs completly redone from drum to drum i want to add posi and 3.73 or 4.11 gears but that gets pretty costly doing it from scratch but I have found out a rear out of some 4x4 blazers will fit and are not as wide only 59".They are 8.5" some have g80s and 3.73s stock but would it be as strong as the nova rear end? Are these rears the same just different widths or are the carriers etc all different? How would the G80 a blazer rear comes with handle around 500hp? I also am wanting to run 15x7 corvette ralleys and the narrow rear end will help but I dont want to end up with a weaker rear end cause I plan to have pretty good power and heavy right foot.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I would bet money the Blazer has gov-lock which is a non serviceable POS. I killed one in a stock 87 GMC in 50K, you want a posi unit from a mid to late 70s Camaro or aftermarket.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Nova rear end has 28 spline axles. To upgrade it to 30 spline you would need a new Eaton Posi, Moser axles, gears and a good installation kit. Price is about $982 for parts.

The Blazer 8.5 has the Governor Lock. All trucks with the G80 were Governor Lock except for a few of the 12 bolt truck rear ends from the '60s and early '70s. The Blazer rear end will have 30 spline axles and possibly disc brakes. You could add the 30 spline Eaton Posi and have a good rear end for less money that building the Nova rear end.

The Governor Lock can be rebuilt, but it isn't as strong as the Eaton Posi. I've rebuild a bunch of the Gov Lock differentials.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The Nova rear end has 28 spline axles. To upgrade it to 30 spline you would need a new Eaton Posi, Moser axles, gears and a good installation kit. Price is about $982 for parts.

The Blazer 8.5 has the Governor Lock. All trucks with the G80 were Governor Lock except for a few of the 12 bolt truck rear ends from the '60s and early '70s. The Blazer rear end will have 30 spline axles and possibly disc brakes. You could add the 30 spline Eaton Posi and have a good rear end for less money that building the Nova rear end.

The Governor Lock can be rebuilt, but it isn't as strong as the Eaton Posi. I've rebuild a bunch of the Gov Lock differentials.
Why use aftermarket axles in Nova rear when its the same width as 67-69 Camaro, 64-67 Chevelle or 68-72 Nova 12 bolt 30 spline axles. However, I have not hurt the stock 28 spline units in my 4 speed 74 Z28 in 30 plus years of trying.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

Are you sure the 8.5 in the blazer has 30 spline axles?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts