Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is unusual for me but I looked at a 97 BMW 740i and it caught my eye being so clean even with 100k. I did some research and they had some issues..... and being a BMW can get expensive. The V/8 was smooth and no timing chain noise. Everything worked and the interior was in good shape with the leather seats not worn and cracked. New radials with oem BMW wheels. I only ventured out of the box with being a complete Chevy guy because it was priced fair and I never owned a luxury car. Also it could be registered as historic and with historic insurance. So I made a deposit on it and wanted to get as much feedback as I could about these cars. Researched the net and spoke with my son who works on exotic cars. At this point it sounds like a go but looking for feedback on anyone who has owned one. Thanks. Greg.

·
Registered
65,629 Posts
can you get a Carfax on something that old? might be worth it if you can. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The carfax was awesome showing one owner and all maintenance records. Been cruising the car and am impressed with the sport/luxury ride. It drives like new. The car was obviously garage kept. As said it is a different ride for me. I discovered it even has its own BMW tool kit in the huge trunk....imagine that .....lol.

·
Administrator
63,189 Posts
BMW`s are great cars, as long as the maintenance is kept up, the cost can be expensive if you need to take it to a dealer ship.
Repairs can be expensive especially running gear and electrics.
Also they keep better if they are garaged, kept out of the elements.
Having said that the 7 series were up market luxury cars.
:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I bought a wrecked 86 Porsche 944 Turbo in 1987. Repaired it myself and only kept it a few months. Most fun car to drive I have ever owned. Turbocharged 4cyl only had about 220 HP but it was like driving a big overpowered go kart. If the road was twisty enough, just stick it in third gear and use the gas pedal and brake pedal and point it where you wanted to go. The thing that was most notable about it was that at 100 MPH is was quiet as a mouse on the inside.

Fun car to drive. Miserable car to own. Maintainence and parts cost was over the top even back that long ago.

Wayne

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I owned an '88 325i BMW convertible once. Great car. Fun to drive. Enjoyed it very much until problems developed with the AC. Took it to a foreign car repair shop and they couldn't diagnose the problem. Wanted to start replacing parts. Refused that. Never took it to a dealer at $105.00 per hour rate. Sold it. Came time to buy either a new BMW convertible or a C6 Corvette convertible. Went with the Corvette and still have it. I would buy another BMW convertible. Actually, I was looking at one in my area with about 15,000 original miles on it. Beautiful shape. I wanted it but the wife not so much. She used her veto power. I would certainly own another BMW. Just be aware they can be costly to repair, Carmine.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I owned an '88 325i BMW convertible once. Great car. Fun to drive. Enjoyed it very much until problems developed with the AC. Took it to a foreign car repair shop and they couldn't diagnose the problem. Wanted to start replacing parts. Refused that. Never took it to a dealer at $105.00 per hour rate. Sold it. Came time to buy either a new BMW convertible or a C6 Corvette convertible. Went with the Corvette and still have it. I would buy another BMW convertible. Actually, I was looking at one in my area with about 15,000 original miles on it. Beautiful shape. I wanted it but the wife not so much. She used her veto power. I would certainly own another BMW. Just be aware they can be costly to repair, Carmine.
I agree Carmine on repair costs. This car has all the maintenance records from new and was well maintained and garage kept by original owner . However one never knows when something will fail. I am planning to use it as a second car with antique tags , insurance and driving minimal miles . It does drive like new so for now it is fun and my youngest son loves it.....my wife is not a fan and is stuck on new Corvettes....so I told her to go get one but I'm not in on the payments. She has a 68 Corvette 327 L79 4 speed Roadster. I said to sell it and move on up to something that will lose value....lol.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I agree Carmine on repair costs. This car has all the maintenance records from new and was well maintained and garage kept by original owner . However one never knows when something will fail. I am planning to use it as a second car with antique tags , insurance and driving minimal miles . It does drive like new so for now it is fun and my youngest son loves it.....my wife is not a fan and is stuck on new Corvettes....so I told her to go get one but I'm not in on the payments. She has a 68 Corvette 327 L79 4 speed Roadster. I said to sell it and move on up to something that will lose value....lol.
That's a nice year Corvette your wife has. I'm sure she enjoys it very much. My one and only Corvette that I still have, is an '06 convertible with 20,000 miles on it. Bought it brand new. It's been a great car. Power. Speed. Handling. Ride. Comfort. Great gas mileage. You really get alot of bang for the buck with a Corvette. I don't really care for the C8's, but regardless, you still get alot of car for the money, Carmine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts