Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres a price story for you
1990 a guy has a 56 shipped in to the uk all bought and paid to his front door £3500.00 gbp (i guess $7000.00) then.
he then spends £1000 to get it thru our mot, (all cars must pass series of tests, brakes suspension, welding, etc),
he then spends £1500 on the engine, (has to put another lump in as original was pants), then sets about doing some body/paint repairs (spends £300)
total spend £6300, his wife gets pregnant so the car goes on hold. . . . . . . . . for 9 years dry stored ! yes 9 years.
year 2000 i go to repair a boiler for a guy and we get talking cars, he talks old english, i talk old usa, he tells me 'i know a old usa, poss for sale' he tells me some details, i stop dribbling at the mouth, he makes a call, i set a date, go and see the car (which is next door in a garage like a house !!) we go over the engine, put some oil in turn it over etc and boooom it lights up !!
next day i pay for it , trailer it to my parents and start work on it

(i had owned a couple of yanks before, always wanted a '56)

8 weeks later my wife is pregnant and the car goes on hold, ,, ., , ,, ,, , , , , for the next eight years ! ! !

in the 8 years i started to fully strip it (i worked away a lot) and last year started to restore, , , ,i am about half way thru a nut and bolt now

so the price i paid

£2000 gbp oh yes thats all,,, at that time i think $3600 usd

bear in mind, the car lived in denver for 30 years and then has had 20 years in dry store, its a real winner, no corrossion, nearly all original (i got the original engine also) , the seats had been covered and were like new underneath,

i got the paperwork also, the title had the guys address as
2316 37th ave denver. my address in hull is
26 37th ave hull

hope you enjoyed my story

regards tim dooley , the-dools

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
great story:tu:tu
:confused0006: Is there a connection between that car and all those pregnant women???:confused0006:

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
great story:tu:tu
:confused0006: Is there a connection between that car and all those pregnant women???:confused0006:
Bobby, I was thinking the same thing:handkiss: Thanx for sharring your story:congrats: Later, Dave

·
Registered
261 Posts
:sign0016: Tim Dooley to bowtie-trifive. Sounds like you have a treasure and got it at a good price too. :congrats: What a great story and wonderful picutres of the ongoing restoration. :tu You must provide more pictures when you get a chance! Brian :bowtieb:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
As much as I like '56s, I'd have to pass on this one. At 68 year of age, I don't want to start another family. My grandkids would be jealous!!! Great story, they do make you relax and relieve your tension. Thanks for sharing, Charles :bowtier:

·
Registered
524 Posts
:sign0016: to bowtie-trifive Tim!

Great story and :anim_25: on the build of your '56.
:tu

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey Tim, great story. My brother also has a 56 also originally from Colorado, we reckon it was brought in by Marjon Motors who imported a lot of cars from there around 1990, I suppose yours might be one of theirs too.

He paid a bit more than you did ... although his is up and running and actually very nice.

What model 56 do you have?

Cheers Tim

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
cool story, thanks for sharing tim. :tu

1 - 14 of 14 Posts