Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have put in new bushings in my front a-arms. According to the shop manual, before tightening them, you are supposed to bounce the front end up and down to center the bushings. Do I need to have the engine and all of the other heavy parts installed 1st, so it's setting at it's normal road height when they are tightened? I'd prefer to do this before installing the engine, fenders, hood and bumpers so they are not in the way.

Thank you

Bill

·
Registered
887 Posts
You should have everything in place when you tighten the bushings. Otherwise the front end will be higher than normal.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,463 Posts
Hello,

I have put in new bushings in my front a-arms. According to the shop manual, before tightening them, you are supposed to bounce the front end up and down to center the bushings. Do I need to have the engine and all of the other heavy parts installed 1st, so it's setting at it's normal road height when they are tightened? I'd prefer to do this before installing the engine, fenders, hood and bumpers so they are not in the way.

Thank you

Bill
Bill if you want to do it go ahead. Then expect a few years down the road, the new bushings will fail and you can do it all over again with EVERYTHING in the way the next time. Seriously, Do not do this untill ALL THE WEIGHT IS ON THEM. I understand it is a pain, but this is the way GM designed it to be done. FWI I've replaced many bushings for guys who did not follow this one simple rule. Don't add yourself to that group

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hello,

Thank you

Bill
I loaded up the front end and checked the ride height as in the manual. Then I torqued them. The key is the ride height with new springs installed. My engine was in the car along with the muncie trans .

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hello,

Thank you

Bill
Leave them loose and put the car on a lift with the suspension loaded. Easy to get at them that way.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
you can litterally lay on your back under the car and easily tighten the bushings after it is all put together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it is a consensus! Put everything back in the car so it's setting at the normal ride height, then tighten. That's what I figured the book was saying, but was hoping it wasn't. It makes a lot of sense though.

Before posting the question I talked to a couple of local old time mechanics who thought it wasn't necessary. It makes a lot of sense though to bounce the car and center it on it's normal ride height. No stress on the bushings when the front end is at rest.

I guess I'll wait until it's all together.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.