Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About to mount my A-Arms which are both polished stainless from Heidts. Bought the uppers used from a member and the lowers from Earle Williams which nieter came with the mounting bolts. Ofcourse I tossed the originals upon disassembly.

What bolt/nut size should be used for mounting?

This would fall under the no question is too dumb to ask category....:sign0020:

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I'm doing this from memory, and it might not be what it used to be so hopefully some one else will confirm or tell you the right ones. If I remember right the lowers are 7/16th, of course you should use grade 8 bolts, I think the uppers might be the same.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,746 Posts

·
Registered
37,290 Posts
You can buy the lowers, grade 8 7/16"-20 x length needed at your favorite fastener store.

Same for the uppers too, but the factory bolts had a knurl next to the bolt head where they pass through the bracket so they'd stay in place and not usually need a wrench when tightening/loosening the nuts. With the stock control arms you can't see these bolt heads when everything is in place. With most aftermarket upper arms you can, so you can use standard bolts if you choose.

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
ECC (OL'55) has the complete set for both sides. Part #20-299B.....$39.95, or if you can wait until tomorrow, I will open mine and give you the bolt size and lenght.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,746 Posts
ECC (OL'55) has the complete set for both sides. Part #20-299B.....$39.95, or if you can wait until tomorrow, I will open mine and give you the bolt size and lenght.
Not a bad price once you start adding up the individual price for high grade bolts, nuts and washers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys....big help! I'll try NAPA and if they dont have them in greade 8 then I will order.

·
Premium Member
5,815 Posts
Sorry for the delay, but here's what they send you. (8)--7/16X20X2and1/8" bolts. (4)--7/16X20X1and1/2" bolts. All grade 8. These are for mounting the A-Arms to the frame. They also send (8)--cup washers for the A-Arm bushings, the (4)--7/16X20X1and1/8" bolts needed for the lower A-Arm bushings, and (4) 3/8X24X7/8" bolts needed for the upper A-Arm bushings. Hope this helps.:anim_25:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts