Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
i greased them, but mine are urethane. dont know if you have to with rubber mounts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
I'm ready to reassemble the upper and lower A arms and shafts with new bushings. Should the ends of the shafts that go into the bushings be greased or installed dry. Thanks.
No, no greese required for rubber bushings. The inner sleeve of the bushing has serrations that dig into the shaft when the end bolts are tightened (after the full weight of the car is on the suspension), that keeps them from turning on the shaft. The rubber twists between the inner and outer sleeve, so nothing turns.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew that the rubber twisting in the bushing allowed the shaft to rotate with the suspension, but the line in the factory manual saying that the shaft should rotate buy hand after the bushings are pressed on confused me. I see now that this is before the end bolts are tightened. I looked at the bushings and saw the ridges that Don mentioned, they will definitely dig into the shaft and lock the bushing onto it. Thanks.

·
Registered
36,118 Posts
The only reason to put a little grease or oil there is to keep the shaft from rusting, which isn't a bad idea. But as already discussed, there should be no movement once you tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I put a very very little bit of 3 in 1 oil to help when I pressed them in!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only reason to put a little grease or oil there is to keep the shaft from rusting, which isn't a bad idea. But as already discussed, there should be no movement once you tighten the bolts.
I used anti-sieze compound but wonder if oil or grease would prevent rust longer?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts