Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this video on youtube....they wasted a perfectly good bel air but it gives you a good idea on classic car safety. I'm sure most guys building classics don't worry about getting hit but while building my classics I've been trying to add safety pieces I've found in newer cars.

On this one I'm guessing it cut through the body so easily since the body relies on frame below it for strength. Unlike unit bodies where the whole body makes up the strength.

Anyways hope you enjoy the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrXViFfMGk&NR=1

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some say it didn't....its hard to tell..but you can see the exhaust pipe bend so it might have had the engine in it. I'm sure they had the power plant in it because it wouldn't have been a fair test on their part since the other car had its motor.

It was a 2009 vs 1959 the crash institute performed this test to celebrate 50 years of crash tests and show how far along safety has progressed.

It looks like the frame of the bel air didn't get a chance to take the brunt of the front impact. The newer car looks like its cutting through the body right above where the frame is making it an easy slice.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
This is pretty factual. Look at older pictures and video (You Tube) of traffic crashes, and you will see just how dangerous older cars were/are.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I have a steering column out of an 84 Monte, which is collapsible, so I hope it is one less worry, good day.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Yes..no crumple zones..no airbags. We wont get off injury free in a crash like that in our classic's. be careful out cruizing..watch for the stupid people:)

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I don't think the 59 had an engine in it , if you look carefully and I think someone said the body supports were cut to make the 59 look fragile. I don't think an unaltered 59 would crumble like that. Jim

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I really don't care to be in an accident in one of our classics... Later, Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts