Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refurbishing under the hood of my 57 and, one of the changes I have done is installed a Cold Case V-8 aluminum radiator in the 6 cylinder. position. I used the Danchuk Radiator Conversion Brackets to mount the radiator. The Vintageair Condenser is black and faded and I would like to replace it with an aluminum condenser also.
I am looking at the Old Air Condenser part # 51-6006. Has anyone used this setup? If so, did you experience any issues with the installation?
Old Air seems to have been around a while and their products look like quality. Any info would be helpful.

Here is the link to the condenser kit: 51-6006 - Condenser Kit | 1955-57 Chevrolet Car, with Radiator in 6 Cyl Position

Billy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am refurbishing under the hood of my 57 and, one of the changes I have done is installed a Cold Case V-8 aluminum radiator in the 6 cylinder. position. I used the Danchuk Radiator Conversion Brackets to mount the radiator. The Vintageair Condenser is black and faded and I would like to replace it with an aluminum condenser also.
I am looking at the Old Air Condenser part # 51-6006. Has anyone used this setup? If so, did you experience any issues with the installation?
Old Air seems to have been around a while and their products look like quality. Any info would be helpful.

Here is the link to the condenser kit: 51-6006 - Condenser Kit | 1955-57 Chevrolet Car, with Radiator in 6 Cyl Position

Billy
That looks like alot of money for a universal condenser with some pre-bent lines. Im a huge cheap-a$$ though. I would bet money that Vintage air is not manufacturing their own condensers.

·
Registered
36,978 Posts
I can't imagine that VA doesn't have a plain aluminum condenser that's just like the one you have now except it's not painted black. That would make it a drop in - no new lines.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I can't imagine that VA doesn't have a plain aluminum condenser that's just like the one you have now except it's not painted black. That would make it a drop in - no new lines.
They don't advertise it as such, but you can request a condenser 'raw', or without any paint. Usually takes a little extra time because they don't stock them both ways - but they are available:

That's the standard condenser for their '55-'56 set up - just unpainted. I can't answer whether they actually produce the condensers or not - I didn't see them doing that the couple of times I've been in the manufacturing area. They do make their own evaporators there, however.
JR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts