Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw this idea on another site. Could be really useful in some situations.
I have all my projects in the shop on rollers but there’s not really enough room to crawl under them for a quick little bit of tinkering. This could work.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My friend made these. It allows him room to do just about anything under his car.
I really don’t like jackstands...

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,746 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I don't rely on jack stands, anytime I'm working under my car it is on blocks.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,746 Posts
I don't rely on jack stands, anytime I'm working under my car it is on blocks.
I hear ya Jim...I will normally jack the car up with a floor jack...Then put the jack/jack stand under it as well.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I like the stacking idea. The design looks earthquake proof. Don't care for the casters. I live in the SF Bay Area. California had an earthquake ~ 6 mths ago. Guy was working under his jeep at the time. He was found crushed to death six days later. Recently, earthquake occurred 16 miles from my house at about midnight. Woke me up. The ground moved like an ocean wave. My 68 AMX w/out any wheels was on 6 ton jack stands from Summit. No issues. Phew. I trust these stands now. My neighbor has a ripple in the street at the curb where he parks his car caused by the earthquake.

Attachments

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
good reason to check out my local tractor supply. :tu

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,173 Posts
Years ago I made these when I was working on a car that had been lowered to the extreme. I like them because no mater where you put a jack stand, you run the risk of damage to paint. No mater how hard you try. I have also extended them by putting extra 2 by 8's under them.

With them under the tires the weight of the vehicle is placed exactly the same as if the car was on the ground, yet you can get under them and work. Hard to do any damage to a rubber tire either.

With convertibles every time you add weight to the car, the door gaps can change. Using these prevents many problem and any adjustments can be made from underneath with out problems.

Mikey

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts