Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my stock fuel tank with a 20 Gallon Aluminum Fuel Cell. I also replaced my fuel level gauge with a newer Sports Comp series fuel level that works with the fuel level sender in the new Fuel Cell. I am using the stock 57 fuel level wiring. So now that you have a background here is my problem:

When the tank is full the fuel level is reading on E. when i shut off the car the fuel level goes about 1/4 inch lower than E but jumps up to E when i turn the key (start the car). I have the fuel cell sender grounded and the dark brown wire from the original fuel sender added to the new fuel sender. At the gauge i have the gauge grounded and the light tan wire on the drivers side stud, and the dark brown on the passenger side stud. (When I took off the old fuel level gauge the tan wire was on the drivers side stud , and the dark brown was on the passenger side stud so I hooked up the new gauge the same way, except for the ground wire that the newer gauge needed). Did i get the tan and dark brown wires reversed? What would cause the gauge to read E when the cell if full? Any help is appreciated!

ACARDON- if your going to be at San Angelo maybe you can have a look at it! Either way see ya there!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
What happens when you take the brown wire off the sender terminal and not connected to anything? The brown wire could be shorted to the body someplace such as under the sill plates or behind the back seat.
What ohm gauge and sender did you get?

See you this weekend.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sender and the gauge level are both 0-30 rated. When i take the brown wire off ( not connected to anything the fuel level gauge pegs all the way past full!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,017 Posts
The sender and the gauge level are both 0-30 rated. When i take the brown wire off ( not connected to anything the fuel level gauge pegs all the way past full!
Is the float metal or plastic? Sounds like it's either stuck or full of fuel. I think it's wired correctly.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
Is the float metal or plastic? Sounds like it's either stuck or full of fuel. I think it's wired correctly.
Agree with Don.....Sounds like the gauge is reading what it is seeing.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Sounds like the float is full of fuel. This very same thing happened to me not too long ago. Once I got a new float it was fine. The float had a hair line crack.
Hope this helps. :bowtier::anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts
If you find a bad float, replace a Ford p/n COAZ-9202-B

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the Fuel tank is an Aluminum 20 Gal fuel cell so the float is sort of s tube that rises up and down. i guess i czn order a new one from Summit!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts