Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are coming along quite nicely, although slowly, on my overhaul of my "55 post car. So far I have the bottom of the car repaired with new floor braces and rocker sills etc. and have the frame blasted and painted ready for the body.The bottom of the car was sealed with "rockguard" textured undercoating and then finished off with black epoxy paint,This undercoating has a very fine texture and when dry it looks almost like smooth paint with orangepeel, not at all lumpy like most other undercoating . I also took this opportunity to install a spring pocket( homemade) kit to move the leaf springs in line with the frame rails and added a substantial shock crossmember to replace a rather spindly looking replacement someone had bolted in many years ago. I,m just waiting to get the rear end back from ther sandblasters and for my new leaf spring set to show up so I can bolt the body back onto the frame.Incidentally, the rearend I chose is from an S -10 4x4 with the off road package 4 wheel disc brakes. It seems like a perfect fit with 3.42 gear ratio and limited slip diff. The best part is that the stock leaf mounting pads are the right width for my now relocated springs ! One less job to cut and weld...This rear is one inch narrower than the stock "55. More updates to follow as soon as I figure out this picture resizer? ..............

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Looks like you are making good progress. So the S-10 is an inch narrower so what will you run for wheels? Keep up the good work and befor long you will be back on the road.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: tire size

Hey BOZ2318, I,m going to run a 255/75R15 on the back on 15x8 Torque thrusts. Fronts are going to be 235/75 R15. With the slightly narrower S-10 rear end and the smaller diameter disc brake rotor on the rear, you are able to just slip the wheel and tire into place between the wheelwell lip and the rotor. It is a tight fit, and the suspension has to be at full drop, but it wasn,t necessary to modify the inner wheelwell lip.Thats one of the unique problems encountered with the lower profile of the stock 55 rear fender opening. The 56 and 57 guys don,t have this problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great idea with the S10 rear end!! :party0031:
I'd like some more information on the install and see some pic's when you are done installing the rear end. :pics-1:.
The wrecking yards seem to be filled with 4x4 S10 vehicles and parts after the cash for clunkers project.
TV

1 - 13 of 13 Posts