Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we dropped this 327 in my wagon. Took the old radiator to get all rotted out and cleaned up. Darn thing is still getting hot at stop lights. Going down the road it is just fine. I was at the Nationals in Bakersfield, lot's of people said to change my 4 blade to a six blade, which I ordered, and while I was at it I ordered a new Griffin for my wagon too. Problem now is, with a short water pump, and the degree of the blades and the thickness of the radiator.....it aint gonna fit. So, I need recommendations. Should I go with electric fan. It is built to install in the V-8 position. Could take the manual fan off and run a big electric pusher in the front, but, then I need to take the ol generator off and go to a altenator. Hell, nothing is easy, but, I love it. Any help out there???

Thanks

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
A few things come to mind.

Sometimes when refilling the cooling system air pockets can get trapped in the block. When this happens and the engine get hot these air pockets form steam. You have to get the air pockets out. There are differing schools of thought here. When I fill my system I do it through the thermostat hole to prevent air pockets. Some say that after a few heat up/cool down cycles the air will purge itself. Over on the Corvette forum we talk about jacking one side of the car high in the air and then filling the block.

I understand you have moved on to the Griffin but when you were using the stock radiator did you also use a shroud. Often this is all that is needed to control overheating such as yours. Your radiator is working fine while moving forward down the road. This tells us it is capable of cooling your engine if enough air is moved through the core. Problem is at slower speeds without a shroud your fan is pulling air over around and from under your core. A shroud will focus all air flow through the core. But special attention must be paid to fan position when using a shroud. You must space the blades of the fan half in and half out of the shroud. If you fail to properly space the fan you will only create turbulence behind or within the shroud.

The stock four blade fan simply will not move as much air as a 5,6 or 7 blade . I have no experience with the Griffin or electric fans but have found with the proper combination of the above you can cool a mildly massaged 327 or 350 motor with a mechanical fan and shroud set up. Good luck

Don

·
Registered
37,299 Posts
Ususally if it gets hot in traffic but not at higher speeds, you need to improve air flow through the radiator.

A shroud and a 5 or 6 blade fan is usually the first step. With a bigger fan, you probably want a thermal fan clutch so that it doesn't rob power when you're at speed.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
My thoughts lean towards whether or not you are using a fan shroud. A shroud usually will make a big difference in cooling efficiency when the vehicle isn't moving.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
High capacity radiator.

We battled this same problem. The engine would overheat in stopped or slow traffic, but then wouldn't cool back down when moving.

As has been stated already above, if you can, figure out how to utilize the Griffin with a conventional 5, 6, or 7 blade fan and a shroud.

On ours we moved the radiator to the 6 cyl position, but we also needed room for other accessories. We would have had to butcher the V8 baffle at the bottom of the core support to clear hoses and cooler lines, and hence chose to just replace it with a 6 cyl core support.

Otherwise, and there is controversy, but I feel pusher electric fans pose a bit of an airflow blockage. I think puller electric fans are superior, judging by what is under the hood of every front wheel drive car I've owned since 1983.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, thanks for the advice. No, I am not running a shroud. I did however order on, the plastic one from I think Eklers when I ordered my fan. And when it arrived, it was a vintage air. I though, wow, must be a decent one. But, in my opinion, was a bad fit, I got pissed and went inside to order my new Griffin.
Help me with the 6 cylinder position. I have pondered that. I know I think Eklers has that nice aluminum shroud that would fit nicely. Although my new griffin is made for the 8 cylinder position. Could I fab or buy brakets to revamp this radiator to the 6 position? AND, if I can move it to the 6 position, will this nice aluminum shroud fit the radiator in the 6 position with the core support there??
I kinda glanced at the core support and have not figured out how a radiator would bolt to it. It does not have the 6 slotted holes in front like it does in back.
I personally think if I could mount it in the 6 position with the nice aluminum shroud, I could then space the fan forward to the correct fit, I would be golden then.
But, one more thing, will my hood close then moving it to the 6 position. Sorry if I sound like a idiot, but, just trying to learn a bit here before I move forward.
Thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I also have cooling problems. I have a new desert cooler radiator mounted in the 6 cylinder position. I have a clutch type mechanical fan and a 14 inch pusher electric fan on the front of the radiator. The fan is wired to come on with the Vintage Air compressor.
It went to 215 degrees and I made it home after a short trip. No shroud. I'm not sure what to do next.
John

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I bought an aluminum cross flow radiator, installed a 160* thermostat, and finally a shroud (V8 position) and that finally fixed my over heating problem....thanks to David. :anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, question. If I get the brackets to install my griffen V-8 position radiator in the 6 cylinder position and get the aluminum shroud on Eklers that is made for the 6 cylinder position, will the shroud slide all the way through the core support [keep in mind it has a V-8 core support] to fit to the radiator that is now sitting on the new brackets??

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
As others have stated if you are cooling when the car is moving you are getting proper airflow through the radiator. The easy thing IMO is to just keep everything like you have it and install a electric fan on the back to act as a puller, you don't want it in front as a pusher fan. I have been running this setup for years and have not had any issues. I wired a toggle switch to the fan and turn it on when needed, like traffic or parades. I don't even need it when driving down the road. Good luck,

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,971 Posts
Ecklers shroud slides between radiator mounting flange and the brackets you'll need to mount in 6cyl position. It's a nice shroud...aluminum...can be trimmed easily to tweak/fit where needed, and polishes up real nice.

Edit: forgot to mention that on my 327, I've had the best luck running a clutch fan as Rick mentioned. You'll need the radiator in 6 cyl position to do it. I run a HD clutch, and 160 thermostat (with Eckler's shroud) and even on the hottest days it stays between 160-170 while I'm moving over 30mph. I run an electric pusher fan out front (manual switch) to help out when I get stuck in traffic with AC on......and it helps keep the radiator from runaway overheating. Some have said the pusher creates air blockage, but it hasn't for me. Typically even with the AC on I can keep it 190 or less with this set up in slow stop/go traffic. I have a Griffin HP downflow aluminum radiator.

Ace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Ace, Eklers has 2 fans, one is wide....around 5 1/4 " and another one that is narrower, I think I will need the wide one. Also, speedway is going to take the v-8 position one back and I am going to get the 6 cylinder one. Griffin said it was a part # 8-70018 griffin number. I hope this is it. Thank You

1 - 14 of 14 Posts