Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend while I was replacing the heater levers on my '55 Bel Air I found a single gray wire with a (female) connector on the end. I thought I may have disconnected it while I was taking the heater controls out of the dash. I spent at least 20 minutes looking for the spot where it was supposed to connect but I couldn't find anything. After looking at the wiring diagrams I'm stumped.

I'm assuming it's for a light because all the gray wires on the diagram seem to be for illumination. Everything seems to be working fine and the only thing that doesn't light up when I turn the lights on is the gear selection indicator, but I think it's just the bulb because I didn't see any area on the back of the instrument panel that was missing a wire and those either terminate with a bulb socket or the pin type connector.

This wire comes out of the section of a wye in the loom that most of the wires connect to the ignition switch.

As you know, lying on your back on the floor of the car with your neck craned trying to find where a loose wire is supposed to be connected under the dash isn't the most comfortable position but, it's driving me crazy knowing it's supposed to go somewhere!

Anyone have any suggestions? :confused0006:

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
11,687 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like there is a gray wire that goes from the light switch to the heater control, I assume to light up the controls. Any chance this is the wire?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at the wiring diagram it looks like there is a gray wire that goes from the light switch to the heater control, I assume to light up the controls. Any chance this is the wire?
I wish! That one ends with a light socket and it's in place.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
There is a junction of grey wires that attach on the side of the light switch suited for grey wires with female spade connectors.

The only other place in that area is instrument lights and according to the diagram looks like theres a grey wire around the ign switch.

Let us know what you find :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
My ignition switch has a place for a bulb. I use it but never see much light coming out of anywhere on it. I thought maybe the light was supposed to come out the key hole itself but I never see light anywhere. Is this maybe where your grey wire was meant?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Can you test the wire when the ignition is on/off or light switched pulled out. Depending on your results, this might be indicative of what circuit it belongs to and maybe proceed from there. Just a thought.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts
The only other place in that area is instrument lights and according to the diagram looks like theres a grey wire around the ign switch.
If not the heater controller, then ignition switch would be the natural possibility for a grey wire in that area.....BTW.....If you have a clock, there is a grey wire that runs to it as well.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have an 'orphan' grey wire with a spade connector under the dash in my '55. Thing is every bulb lights up, every thing is connected according to the wiring diagram and works. The only bulbs that don't light up are the GEN and BAT, the wires are disconnected and taped off as I have an ALT and aftermarket Volt gauge.

I have no clue as to where the wire would go, it comes out of a wrapped loom. It only registers 'hot' when the light switch is on. I finally gave up trying to find it's home, if it even has one, and just put a spade cap on the connector. Been good for five years now.

Reading this got me to thinking about it again...hope GWD finds out where his 'orphan' wire goes as it may be the same for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is it possible that there was an optional factory installed accessory, not ordered on this car, that the extra wire in the harness was provided for? Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Is it possible that there was an optional factory installed accessory, not ordered on this car, that the extra wire in the harness was provided for? Just a thought.
That was my thought but...???

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Could it be for the clock? :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:
Not on my car the wire isn't near long enough and my clock is already wired up and working.
Maybe GWD has that problem

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definately not the clock, now I'm wondering if it could be for an optional courtousy light?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not a courtesy light. A courtesy light would have an orange wire. Gray wires are dash lights that are dimable by the headlight switch. The clock light wire terminated in a single wire connector near the glove box and had an extension with a bulb socket on the other end. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-8.gif
This is nowhere near the clock, it's right at the ignition switch, maybe 8" long. I'll spend more time looking for the connection this weekend.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Grey wires

I assume its a stock harness. Grey wires are dash/instrument lights if its a larger gauge wire/braided its the cigarette lighter.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts

This would have been my first thought.....but what option? :anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 20 of 46 Posts