Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked tri 5 shortys and I've always wanted one.
I've seen a bunch of them over the years and I've always thought they looked cool, but a bit too short for me.
Most are made out of 4 door station wagons or 4 door sedans.
One member on here has an excellent example.
The usual method of making a shorty is to remove the rear door area, and cut the frame the same amount, usually 20 inches or so.
Taking 20 inches out of a 115 inch wheel base leaves 85" which is too short and squarrely for me.
So here's what I'm going to try.
I'm going to shorten a 4 door hardtop that I have by taking out the usual 20 inches, but leaving the frame stock at 115".
So I'll have a shorty body but a stock length frame.
So I'll have to add 20 inches to both the hood and front fenders.
It's pretty easy on a 57 because the hood/fenders lines are straight unlike the 55 and 56 that have tapered hood/fender lines.
The engine will come back a bunch, I'm figuring about 16" or so should give me a great front/rear weight bias plus the engine would have tons of oil pan, accessorie and header clearance.
Plus plenty of firewall clearance and ease of getting at the bellhousing bolts.
The fenders will be welded together but the hood will be two piece, the rear piece opening normally while the front section will open forward, like a 57 ford.
I've got the car, extra fenders and hoods and hopefully I'll get it done starting this fall.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
It should be a very unique car.
Jarhead
PS Now if I can only somehow talk Russell and Hotrod Jim into sponsoring the car with one of their C4 frames under it. Oh well, I can always dream.

·
Administrator
48,740 Posts
I have to believe that by adding to the hood and fender that the proportions will look off as much as they do by cutting out the 20" of the body. In other words the stretched front end will make it look like a cartoon car. JMO
Terry

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Terry for the input.
I'm hoping for a funny car type look, you know short body and long nose.
Again thanks
Jarhead

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
At the Back to the 50's show in St. Paul this summer, a guy showed up in a '64 Chevy C-10 stepside that had the body moved back on the frame and the front end stretched about 20-24". This was done to make room for the V-12 he wanted to install. It was a GM commercial truck engine--essentially two V6 Blocks cast as one, and two sets of V-6 heads. It was a very original project and a major attention getter.

So....as long as you have all that extra real estate under the hood....................

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
well, if you want then go for it. Personally, I would not cut up a 57. The only "Shorty" I ever saw that I liked was a VW Van. Friend of mine did a good job on one even tho he was drunk at the time.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Should be interesting.I like shortys:party0031:

·
12,256 Posts
I would have someone do a rendering before I started cutting up a car. Just make sure the end result is something like you want. I personally think shorties are kinda cool too.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It sounds like a Jaguar XKE you're describing. . .
Definately have it mocked up before you start, from all angles.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I Apologise for the quality.

But you get the idea.

Jim

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Are you guys on Druuugs?

:sign0020:

Attachments

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
It's still kind of a free country:fahne19:so do it before they find a way to tax it:eek: Personally I prefer my trifives to have the same basic size/shape that the General gave them:moddhappychevelle22Later, Dave

·
Registered
933 Posts
Please don't butcher up a 4 door hardtop. There's not that many of 'em left.

A couple pounds of C-4....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts