Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finely got the driver side lower spark plug 4-wire separator off, after searching this forum on where the bolt was located (can't hardly see the dang thing, let alone when it's covered in 50 years of grease). Needed a Rube Goldberg assembly of extensions and a u-joint to let a ratchet spin the bolt loose. Patience and persistence won the battle.

So, how the heck do you re-install this separator????? I can't see where it goes, can't line up the bolt, can't hold the separator at the same time, let alone keep the bolt in the socket and use a flashlight to get a momentary glimpse of the target. Install it with the plug wires already pushed into place? Install wires after the separator is bolted down? Remove the shifter arms for the 3-speed tranny? Forget about this dang thing cuz Chevy should have run the wires somewhere else in the first place?

Pull the engine... cut a hole in the firewall... take off the body... do it through the tailpipe? Or just keep at it, and lose what hair I have left in the years ahead while I try to battle the unbeatable?

Go ahead, laugh. I feel like a 2-year old trying to assemble the space shuttle while sticking my hands through a hole in a wall with my eyes closed. :sign0020:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Are you refering to the stock wire covers that go on the side of a 265/283 or the ones on the back of the engine?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
EEEK Grisly task. did one a few years ago and we removed the driver wheel and my buddy with the skinny arms reached thru the dust shield and after I got the bracket tab in the hole he held it while I did a circus trick with wobble extensions and universal and got the bolt in. still had to pull the wires out of grommet and reinstall 1 at a time as I slid it in place. May the force be with you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's the lower support bracket that bolts to the block *behind* the valve cover on the driver side. Part # 3719962. There are two 4-wire brackets, the upper one bolts to the intake manifold (rear-most bolt), the lower one is the one giving me a fit. Can't get my hand in there, can't line up a flashlight to spot the bolt hole, and the firewall blocks any view from above.

I need a scrawny toothpick fashion model with tiny hands. Anybody got Twiggy's number? LOL

You can see what I'm talking about on this page from the tri-five garage"

http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/221-11.gif

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes, that is a hard one to reach. You need a couple of LED lights, one shining up from the bottom of the car and one from the top. You would also need a 1/4" flexible drive magnetic socket! I wonder if you can reach it through the bellhousing cover that is located on the transmission hump under the carpet?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I started the nut by hand and then I just used a normal wrench to tighten it. It was a bear and I needed a mechanics mirror just to see the hole.
:shakehands:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that is a hard one to reach. You need a couple of LED lights, one shining up from the bottom of the car and one from the top. You would also need a 1/4" flexible drive magnetic socket! I wonder if you can reach it through the bellhousing cover that is located on the transmission hump under the carpet?
Is there an access cover in that location? That would make things a LOT easier. I couldn't find one listed in the "Body Instruction" section of the shop manual.

I removed the tire and the lower inner fender on the driver side. Peeking through the body brace, steering column, brake line, shift levers and trans linkage... Using my most advanced body-twisting yoga position, I can stick my head up there and juuuuust barely eyeball the spot for the bolt with a flashlight, but I'd need an octopus's flexible arms to reach it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Success! Apparently, here is the process by which you replace that $%@& plug wire support bracket.

1) Approach from every angle without making any progress, then rethink your attack angle.

2) Unbolt tranny linkage arms from steering column so you can get your hand around and below motor.

3) Remove distributor, engine vent tube (unbolt from block AND starter) and oil pressure sending unit.

4) Figure out you can't hold the bracket from below the motor to keep it at the right angle while starting bolt from the top of the motor by yourself, even if your hands were not *still* too big to fit between the motor and the firewall. Grrrr…..

5) Ask your tiny daughter if she would like to help Daddy for a moment, and get really greasy at the same time (not usually a big draw for a teenage girl).

6) Inform daughter of importance of NOT dropping anything down into the motor. (Yeah, I should've used some tape to seal the holes off.) You hold the bracket in place from below, and daughter lines up bolt and screws it in place from above with her tiny hands. Let daughter tighten bolts with Rube Goldberg contraption consisting of ¼” u-joint, various ¼” and 3/8” extensions to get perfect pivot location (trial and error), and ratchet.

7) (and this is most important) Enjoy spending some quality time with your little girl working on her Grandfathers Car. (Dad, that was COOL! Can I help you again tomorrow? .... Sure, Honey, I'd love that! .... It'll be fun!)

8) Have a cold one to celebrate winning on multiple levels. :tu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts