Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this firewall look worth saving of should I be thinking about replacing it. This is the condition it was in when I bought it. No idea as to how or why the did what they did to it.
100_5842.jpg

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
danchuk sells replacement panels if you need one. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
looks like a new one is in order if the budget allows. I would get the joe lutz one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your wall looks great belairv8. :tu How hard was it to cut out and reweld up under the dash area? I have thought about a donor or a reproduction.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Looks like replacement would be much less work than trying to fix the original. And will blow people away listening to your story and how-to!
:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Your wall looks great belairv8. :tu How hard was it to cut out and reweld up under the dash area? I have thought about a donor or a reproduction.

Mitch
It is a big job, but can be done. I unpicked all the spotwelds in my '55 to replace the firewall - similar to yours, it was butchered.

You will notice on both sides, there are welds that join the firewall to the air intakes. You will need to remove the air intake panels to get to the spotwelds at the sides. At the top you will find three pieces of sheetmetal - the outer lip that goes up to the vent panel, the firewall itself and the air vent panel. You will need to get at the spotwelds joining the upper section of the cowl to the firewall first, then peel the cowl panel back a bit to get at the next set of spotwelds joining the firewall to the inner panel. Aternatively you can cut along that seam - probably depends on whether you are doing a 100% resto or not.

If you are not going full resto, the easier option is to do something like belairv8 has done - get as much of the firewall as you can from a donor car and transplant it into the damaged areas.

Cheers, Des

·
Registered
11,156 Posts

Mitch
It wasn't that bad, just took our time. I replaced the center 3' +/- with the donor firewall. I did not replace around the hood hinge area. I'll try to find some pics of what I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts