Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
You should be able to connect the hose on the passenger side with no issue. Vintage Air makes and sells the adapter for the driver side larger one. Push it over the back of the duct and it reduces to the hose size.

Mikey

·
Registered
35 Posts
AC Hose Adapter

The AC hose adaptor from Vintage Air doesn't fit over the OEM outlet like it should. It was just a little undersize and wouldn't fit over the OEM outlet no matter what I did. I contacted VA and they advised that the adaptor also fits other years, and they didn't have an answer. As a result I had to fabricate my own adaptor that ran between the OEM outlet and the VA adaptor. I found a bean can about the correct size and smeared mold release on it and fiberglassed a sleeve around the can. Released it from the can then trimmed to length and sanded the inside so it would fit over the OEM outlet. I was then was able to mate it all together. Works fine now, it just takes a little time and effort.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John. I was not sure which size adapter to get because they are not exactly 2 1/2 inches. I may have to do something like you did and make my own.

Also Mickey said each side is a different size. My reproductions ducts are both the same size. I guess when making the repops they weren't concerned with being real accurate.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Not a surprise, they don't make it any more. They used to make just that fitting. I know because I bought 3 of them for installing Vintage Air units on cars that I used factory dash outlets. Sad that they just are not sharper about this stuff. Maybe they figure we are gong to use DUCT TAPE....:sign0020: Red Green style

Mikey

·
Registered
533 Posts
I see you have a 56 but on 57's OEM vents the VA hose fit over the passenger side vent and inside the drivers side with no adapter needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts