Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 55,265 with points. I can remember many times(back in 1962) car with same engine and points,sitting watching the submarine races over on the coast with the radio on.Never thought about burning the points way back then,but concerned about it now. Did some 55's have an accessory switch or was I just very lucky?? As I keep getting older,I can rember some things & not others. Your thoughts please...T I A for any info.. Wayne

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wayne, they all came the same from the factory; without an accessory position or switch. I'm sure a lot were changed over so the radio was always powered, rather than just when the ignition is on. It sounds like now, you care more about how you got to the race, rather than watching the race. :sign0020:

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I have a stock 55,265 with points. I can remember many times(back in 1962) car with same engine and points,sitting watching the submarine races over on the coast with the radio on.Never thought about burning the points way back then,but concerned about it now. Did some 55's have an accessory switch or was I just very lucky?? As I keep getting older,I can rember some things & not others. Your thoughts please...T I A for any info.. Wayne
Just put a kill switch under the dash for your ignition wire. Good anti-theft switch.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
D106P

There is the possibility the engine could stop in a position with the points open.

I ran the old Motorola quite a bit with the engine not running, but each set of points lasted a good long time for me.

I chalk the relative longevity to the certainty that the contact points have to be closed in order to burn.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Back in '55 my dad bought a new 4 dr. Bel Air sedan and one of the first things he did was to have the dealer direct wire the radio so it always had power. Needless to say we always had to be very careful to always shut the radio off before leaving the car.

Ken 57bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,380 Posts
Back in the day I used to jiggle the key a bit and get the radio to come on without the GEN light coming on. There was no power to the coil but there was power to the radio. Maybe a warn switch?? JB56
JB....I can't believe it.....You too....:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.