Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys Has anyome acid dipped their car as opposed to media blasting. Street Rodder Mag has an article in this months issue.It reads great but when i mention it to guy aroud here they say after paint the chemicals bleed out of seams and blister paint. Anyone have a good or bad experiance.Thank in advance

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bobby, I have had two of my cars dipped and wouldn't do it any other way. The first one was done in 1992...18 years ago...with no current signs of rust or corrosion anywhere on the body. The secret to preventing problems is to properly neutralize the dip solution.

Dipping will provide bare metal void of all paint, rust, rubber, adhesives, etc.. No matter how "rust-free" your car is when you start, be prepared to find lots of small to not-so-small spots that didn't look like they were rusted. Afterall, that is the main reason to have it done.

After the dipping and metal repair is done, I also have mine E-coated. Electro-deposition primer gets into all the places you can't spray. The biggest problem with E-coating is that there are very few places to get it done.

:anim_25: with your project :)

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,135 Posts
years ago there was a place in sante fe springs Ca called Prestige Thunderbirds . they do both dippng and electrostatic primer :happy0030:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Over the years Ive had two done 56 chevy body, 39 ford body, and doors, tailgates. Redistrip in Indianapolis In. Its a non-acidic, Alkaline electrolytic immersion process. It removed everything paint, bondo, undercoating, rust, most of the lead. Some places were the metal was thin from rust but not showing on the outside of body. Came back with pin holes thru the body. Theses areas may have went un-noticed if you just stripped the paint. For me, I would only use this service on a solid body and a high dollor restoration. You need to remember it removes protective coatings on everything, so you to re-treat everything. It takes a lot of time and money most people don't want to pay that much for something you don't see. Ron

·
Registered
503 Posts
i'm with frank on dipping. i've had a few done and have had zero problems. just did my 57 and like frank said there were some spots that showed up that weren't noticable before dipping. a couple of pin holes that we would have probably missed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks i don't wanna make the wrong move and be sorry after paint.i'm gonna brace it up and pull it off the frame and dip it! And pray i have something when i'm done ! lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big Blue i've been looking around someone told me Fairfield ,Oakland had or has dippers i haven't found one yet when i do i will post it! Thanks

·
12,101 Posts
The only way I would dip a body is if the dipper also had e-coating capability. One problem though is once it's dipped and e-coated, you need to do the bodywork and replace panels that are rusted. Now you have unprotected areas.

I would want to dip, do the sheetmetal work, dip again, then e-coat after all the sheetmetal was replaced and all welding done. Don't know if they would do that or not. The second best alternative would be to do the sheetmetal work first, then dip and e-coat. You might miss something, but it would be better than dipping and e-coating before any metal replacement, imo.

·
Registered
503 Posts
the guy that does mine dips them in a solution to remove paint etc then in another tank to remove the rust and rinses throughly after and neutralizes the solution that strips the rust etc. after it's rinsed it gets dipped in another tank, i believe it's called a phosphate solution? it keeps the metal from rusting if kept indoors out of the humidity. i've had bodies and parts in my garage for a year or more without any rust forming.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would want to dip, do the sheetmetal work, dip again, then e-coat after all the sheetmetal was replaced and all welding done. Don't know if they would do that or not.
Agreed. That is the sequence I use. The people that do mine actually recommend it. More transporting back and forth but gives a much better result. The new metal gets cleaned and e-coated just like the old. This is especially important if you are replacing pieces that have hidden areas that you can't spray.

·
Banned
1,164 Posts
I asked my Mustang Restoration friend and he gave me this place. He wasn't sure if they're still around though. Good Luck!!

Nor-Cal Metal Stripping
10010 Old Redwood Highway
Windsor, CA 95492-8085 map
Santa Rosa, CA Metro Area

Phone: (707) 838-9470

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Troy thanks for the tip i called and got a voicemail sounds like they are still in buisness will give them a call monday. will get back with you guys on process and price. Bobby

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called the guys in winsor they are still in buisness and going strong .The guy i talked with said they do not do a phosfate bath afterwords just bare metal .Bobby

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Old willy my project is going slow bagging and tagging lots of pic's the plan is to get it dipped then onto the rotisserie i built outa 3x3 tube got the plans off Ebay. the roof has rust through in back window and rear driprail i have a donor roof the rest of the car looks pretty good (the dip will tell) the colors i picked are teal w/ silver roof. I'm collectins parts,gaskets etc. selling off what i'm not using and lots of research.I don't wanna make a expensive mistake.After the dip i''l try to get some plc's up. Bobby

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.