Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who sells a 2 in wide add a leaf? I have a 56 Wagon that bottoms out when I put anything in the back. After a little investigation, I found that I have a 5 leaf spring pack (for sedans) when I should have a 6 leaf pack (for wagons/nomads). I could just buy the new spring pack, but if I could save a few bucks by adding a leaf then I would prefer to do that. I eventually want to set it up as a tow vehicle.

Thanks.
David

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Cars had 4 leaf and wagon had 5 leaf. Don't know where a 6 leaf would come from. Are you springs new? If not, they may need replacing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
My wifes' cousin worked in a suspension shop and I had him re-arch my rear springs and we added one extra one just under the main leaf, had to readjust the arch (too high) once but it done well for about 25 years. This was allot cheaper than new springs and I got the height and support we wanted.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,763 Posts

·
Registered
37,965 Posts
As said, 4 leaf was standard on cars, 5 leaf on wagons. Optional on cars (think taxis) was 5 leaf. 6 leaf was optional on wagons/sedan delivery.

Google the Eaton Detroit Spring website and they'll have an informative article on leaf springs, number of leafs, the length of each leaf, etc.

Back in the old days I built a 5 leaf setup from a stock 4 leaf by using a junkyard main leaf for a 4 leaf setup. I sawed the ends off to where the ends of that one were midway between the main leaf eyes and the ends of the original 2nd leaf. This became the new 2nd leaf.

As old as most springs you see are, they are worn where the ends of the intermediate leafs touch the next longer one, because the slider pads are long gone. If that's the case, it's far better to replace the whole spring, buying from a reputable spring company. Used to be a lot of spring companies around, now they do mostly trucks. Eaton Detroit Spring is a good source.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the Chevy LUV had a narrow spring. I added an Add-a-leaf to my '80 when I had it and it raised it about 2 inches... Most leaf springs on trucks are too wide. Might check out a Jeep shop too. I used some Jeep perches for my '55 springs.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I contacted Hellwig and Super springs. They do not have products for the 2 in wide springs. Not sure why a 2.5 inch help spring as pictured above would not work with a 2 in spring. I guess the suspension shop is the way to go. I will let you know how it turn out.

Thanks
David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts