Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep the factory look on my car from the outside. But was wondering if anybody has added supplemental lighting behind the grill to shine "through" the grill. Essentially, they wouldn't detract from the factory look unless you looked close. Plenty of room in there for some bright lights, could even make a shielded case to eliminate back-glow behind the grill.

I've seen pictures of '57s with fog lights added to the bumpers, it really looks good. But the '56 doesn't have a bumper that would accommodate this addition in such a manner.

I have fog/driving lights on both my jeep and truck. We live in an area with a lot of deer, and those lights have saved my vehicles numerous times. Just kind of thinking out loud here, but has anybody done something like this to their tri-five?

Hope this is the right forum for this question, since it concerns keeping the factory look of the car.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
In high school, I lived way out in the desert. I put a set of 4 inch spot light bulbs inside the grille of my 56 wagon. They actually worked real well, and they didn't really show unless you opened the hood, or looked into the grille. They were in chrome housings like you would mount on a roll bar. Drilled and mounted them in the splash pan next to the radiator.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I would have thought all of the colored lights on the front would be against the law.....:bowtier:

bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Seems like fog lights would work fine behind the grille. High power driving lights, not quite as much potential, but maybe.

I've seen small amber motorcycle lights work quite well behind a tube grill for turn signals/parking lights on a 57.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I tried fog lights first. The lights have a diffusing effect that don't do much for seeing things better in the dark. They diffuse the light so the fog doesn't light up, like if you had high beams in the fog. I went to the spots because they shot a beam down the road a lot further. I angled them to the edges of the road to see the critters like 56-210HT wants to do, and hopefully avoid them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! Glad to know others have thought of this and it worked ok for them. The Halo lights are nice, but not the look I want. At first I was thinking of the larger off-road lights I am used to, like on my jeep.

But I thought about it some more, and realized that advances in design means there are extremely small but very powerful lights on the market that would actually fit "in" the grill slots. (Motorcycle lights? PIAA HID drivers? etc.?) Mounted just back of the grill face, I don't think they would be very conspicuous. Sounds like this is on my list of tried and true modifications to do. :tu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts